Sunday, January 20, 2013

Why YA?

GUEST POST FUNSIE!!!! Please welcome the adorbs Liesel Hill, whom stopped by for a visit today!



Hello and thank you so much to Jen for hosting me today on Unedited! I’m so excited to be here!

New Adult is essentially the midpoint between YA and Adult. I’ve always heard that it came from people who wanted stories about older (adult) characters but without all the “adult” content that comes with adult books.

Others say it’s simply exploiting the niche between teenage and adult, and many treat NA as “older” teenager, so eighteen or nineteen rather than fifteen or sixteen.

Whatever your definition, we’re seeing this genre emerge more and more.

So why did I go with New Adult?

It wasn’t a conscious decision, at least not in terms of genre. The story I envisioned was simply about adults, so that’s how I wrote it.

My teenaged years weren’t my favorites. I was the kind of teenager that was awkward and introverted. High school wasn’t torturous by any means, but it also wasn’t my favorite time. I immensely preferred college. Doesn’t hurt that I came out of my shell and figured out my calling—writing—which changed my entire outlook. Those two things alone give college brownie points.

I wanted a story where mature, intelligent people have to make difficult decisions about their world. Some of my favorite stories in the world are YA, but I’ve also read a lot of YA I haven’t liked. I didn’t want my story to be centered around adolescent problems. My characters still face major opposition and have romantic encounters, but they will do it with an adult mentality. That’s all. And I prefer it that way. :D

So if you want a story with all the same angst, conflict, and emotion as YA, but with just a bit less adolescent drama, try New Adult. It might surprise you.
 
 

Thanks for stopping in Liesel! I'm super excited about the New Adult trend and look forward to diving into some new original work!!! Any of you diving into the new category? Please stop by her sites and check her out along with her novel!!

6 comments:

Natalie Aguirre said...

Thanks for sharing why you chose new adult, Liesel. It certainly is an up and coming genre. Like you, my college years were much happier than high school. So I'll have to consider reading more of it.

Good luck with your book.

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

High school wasn't my favorite time but I do have fond memories of college. Sounds like your book is in just the right genre.

Jess said...

Nice to meet you Liesel and thanks to Jen for hosting! I really need to get on the ball and read more New Adult books~ love your cover Liesel!

Kirsten Oliphant said...

Cool! I hadn't heard about New Adult and it makes a lot of sense and is intriguing to me. Thanks for sharing!!

Unknown said...

I'm a new follower - just because you hosted this novel. I'm a tour stop later on, and I loved it.

Rose @ www.thecosydragon.com

S.A. Larsenッ said...

I really liked hearing your views on YA & New Adult, Liesel. I do write YA, but I've always felt there was a place for something a bit older, yet not fully adult - those years when you are but you're just not good at it yet. lol