Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Tuesday Twist - with a special twist!

This weeks installment is extra special! The first is a fun young adult story, but what makes this one so much fun is the fact that the author will be in Houston to talk about her book! I'm very excited to share her latest novel with you! The other two stories are from the wonderful Lindsay over at Adventures in Writing! I won them on her blog last week and she's shipped them off so I can have my very own copies!

This weeks books will be linked to my favorite local shop, the Blue Willow Bookshop! They are the one's who are hosting the author in Houston this week so I thought it appropriate to share all the books to their wonderful site!

So let's get started!

FIRST SYNOPSIS - Young Adult (Author in Houston this week!)
Lily Sanderson has a secret, and it's not that she has a huge crush on gorgeous swimming god Brody Bennett, who makes her heart beat flipper-fast. Unrequited love is hard enough when you're a normal teenage girl, but when you're half human, half mermaid, like Lily, there's no such thing as a simple crush.

Lily's mermaid identity is a secret that can't get out, since she's not just any mermaid—she's a Thalassinian princess. When Lily found out three years ago that her mother was actually a human, she finally realized why she didn't feel quite at home in Thalassinia, and she's been living on land and going to Seaview High School ever since, hoping to find where she truly belongs. Sure, land has its problems—like her obnoxious biker-boy neighbor, Quince Fletcher—but it has that one major perk: Brody. The problem is, mermaids aren't really the casual dating type—the instant they "bond," it's for life.

When Lily's attempt to win Brody's love leads to a tsunami-sized case of mistaken identity, she is in for a tidal wave of relationship drama, and she finds out, quick as a tailfin flick, that happily ever after never sails quite as smoothly as you planned.

Second Synopsis - Young Adult
In Mary's world there are simple truths. The Sisterhood always knows best. The Guardians will protect and serve. The Unconsecrated will never relent. And you must always mind the fence that surrounds the village; the fence that protects the village from the Forest of Hands and Teeth. But, slowly, Mary’s truths are failing her. She’s learning things she never wanted to know about the Sisterhood and its secrets, and the Guardians and their power, and about the Unconsecrated and their relentlessness. When the fence is breached and her world is thrown into chaos, she must choose between her village and her future—between the one she loves and the one who loves her. And she must face the truth about the Forest of Hands and Teeth. Could there be life outside a world surrounded in so much death?

Third Synopsis - Young Adult
Gabry lives a quiet life. As safe a life as is possible in a town trapped between a forest and the ocean, in a world teeming with the dead, who constantly hunger for those still living. She’s content on her side of the Barrier, happy to let her friends dream of the Dark City up the coast while she watches from the top of her lighthouse. But there are threats the Barrier cannot hold back. Threats like the secrets Gabry’s mother thought she left behind when she escaped from the Sisterhood and the Forest of Hands and Teeth. Like the cult of religious zealots who worship the dead. Like the stranger from the forest who seems to know Gabry. And suddenly, everything is changing. One reckless moment, and half of Gabry’s generation is dead, the other half imprisoned. Now Gabry only knows one thing: she must face the forest of her mother’s past in order to save herself and the one she loves.


These wonderful books:
Forgive My Fins by Tera Lynn Childs
The Forest of Hands and Teeth by Carrie Ryan
The Dead-Tossed Waves by Carrie Ryan

I hope you enjoyed this weeks book choices! I'm very excited about each one of them and hope you are too! I did not receive any compensation for linking this to Blue Willow Bookshop but I do believe that local bookstores should be recognized for their awesomness!!

So this week Tera Lynn Childs will be in Houston, those of you who live in the surrounding areas should really stop by the bookshop to see this amazing author! You will not be disappointed! The staff is kind and they always showcase the best people!

INFORMATION:
Author: Tera Lynn Childs

Date: Friday 6/11/2010
Time: 7:00PM
Location:

Blue Willow Bookshop
14532 Memorial Drive
Houston, TX 77079

34 comments:

Christina Lee said...

Awesome! I was familiar with the Carrie's Zombie books but not Tera's--sounds GREAT!

Jessica Bell said...

Not a YA reader unfortunately ... Have fun at the book shop, though! ;-)

Lindsay said...

Well I'm biased towards the last two because I love them so much. :)
But Tera Lynn Childs book sounds great too. I love anything with mermaids (it's my childhood Little Mermaid obsession returning. lol) so this one is going on my TBR list. :)

Vicki Rocho said...

I would totally read the first one. My daughter would grab the second two.

Carol said...

They sound really interesting! Hope you have a fab time

C x

Bernadine said...

These are lovely books. :)

Thanks for sharing. :)

Joanne said...

The Blue Willow bookstore looks so charming. I'd love to spend time browsing there!

Jaydee Morgan said...

All three sound interesting. And congrats on winning the last two. You'll have to let us know how they were!

Anonymous said...

I look forward to your reviews of these books! And I even just like the name of your favourite book shop.

Erica Mitchell said...

Have fun at your book event! I have read the other two but I have browsed around and seen the first. Just haven't gotten to that one yet. So much to read, look forward to your reviews!

Stina said...

I wasn't a big fan of #2, but I do want to read #3.

I'm excited to receive my prize from Lindsay's contest--Shiver. :D I'd hate to think what she had to spend to ship them to North America from England.

Talei said...

Ooh I like the sound of all 3. The first one draws me in as I've not read a YA book about a mermaid - I'm curious! Will check it out. ;)

Sophia said...

I have to say I'm a tad interested in the 'logistics' of how to make a half human, half mermaid ;)
- Sophia.

Meredith said...

I love Blue Willow Bookshop! So sad I won't be back in Houston then.

I'm completely addicted to Carrie Ryan's books, and I've heard great things about Forgive My Fins. Hope you enjoy them!

Shannon O'Donnell said...

Awesome! Now I really want to read Tera Lynn's book! :-)

Anonymous said...

I like all three. But I might be biased, because I knew which they were before reading the title. I'm definitely looking forward to read #1.

Theresa Milstein said...

I think when you're interested or like something, it's good to link it. I don't get any compensation when I do the same.

Thanks for the info.

Crystal Cook said...

I want to read Forgive my Fins so bad!! That's so cool she's coming to your town!

I'm very interested to see what you think about Carrie Ryan's books, I have my opinion, but I'll wait to share it with you until you've read them :)

Talli Roland said...

I chose the first one before even knowing who the author was or what book it was! Yay for me! :) It sounds like such a fun read.

Laura S. said...

I love mermaids!!! The Little Mermaid is one of my favorite movies. I wanted to be a mermaid when I grew up. Sadly, that's one thing that can't happen no matter how much I put my mind to it, lol! So Tera's novel is one I'd definitely read!

Carolyn V. said...

I've heard great things about The Forest of Hands and Teeth. Again Jen, what great book choices! My tbr is just so dang long!

Melissa said...

I've read Forest of Hands and Teeth, haven't read the sequel yet though. But Forgive My Fins sounds really interesting. I started laughing when I was reading the synopsis because there's an elementary school, literally next door to my house, named Seaview. The book sounds really interesting.

I live nowhere near Houston so I won't be able to come to the signing but I hope you tell us how amazing it is! I love hearing about author signings.

j.leigh.bailey said...

I loved Tera Lynn Child's Oh. My. Gods. and Goddess Bootcamp. I've been looking forward to Forgive My Fins!

Tahereh said...

omg yay! more great books!

thanks for the heads up! :D

Karen Lange said...

Sorry to say I don't live near Houston. Thanks for sharing! :)

Kimberly Franklin said...

I'm reading The Forrest of Hands and Teeth right now. Well, I've read the first chapter and I'm loving it!!

Tamara Hart Heiner said...

that first book sounds so good! I'll have to read that! I read Forest of hands and teeth and didn't like it. I hate it when that happens.

Alissa Grosso said...

Ooh, I love The Forest of Hands and Teeth, and can't wait to read the Dead Tossed Waves!

Kristin Rae said...

OOOO Forgive My Fins is on my TBR list!!! I'd love to go meet her! Thanks for the heads up!

Jemi Fraser said...

All three sound like great fun :)

The Urban Cowboy said...

Have a great time!

Anonymous said...

The first book sounds very interesting!

I have never heard of Truth Tellers, but I would love to read it. It sounds interesting.
:)


LOVE!

Clara said...

Pure awesomeness, Jen!

I loved all 3 synopsis but the first was sooo captivating, I loved it!
Truth tellers seems really interesting! =D

Guinevere said...

I really want to read these. And I wish I lived in Houston - I love indie book stores like this, it sounds like such a fun event!

I tagged you on my blog, if you want to participate - no pressure, of course. :)