Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Why Females Rock

Day Three - You's know the drill....

Lisa Galek
Renae Mercado
Colene Murphy
Melissa Widden
Laurel Garver

Females Rock!

Note: I know I mention no one by the name of Harry Potter, Ronald Weasley, Dumbledore, Fred & George Weasley, Professor Snape, or Draco Malfoy, and for good reason, they're not females. It's my blog. I do what I want.

Hermione Granger

  • Savior - Without her, the books would have been The Lost Boys.
  • Mistakes - She makes mistakes but we all do (I'm talking to you Harry - It was ONE troll ONE time... let it go already)
  • Hero - Three headed dog anyone? How about Devil's Snare incident (yeah, you're welcome Ron). Not to mention the countless spells she can conjure up with the flick of her wand. (She's just that cool.)

Ginny Weasley

  • Love - Her love for Harry runs deep. (Thank God, someone needs to keep Harry in check)
  • Human (sort of) - So she opened a journal. So it happened to be Tom Riddle's (how was she supposed to know he was a jerk) I know she almost got herself killed, but Fawkes and Harry saved her (so, no biggie)
  • Fighter - I mean, she doesn't take shizz from Harry, even when he tries to be all like "I need to do this on my own," "I don't want anyone else getting hurt," oh no buddy, she's on.to.you.
  • Talent - One slick witch, hexes, Dumbledore's Army, oh yeah, she's not one to mess with.
  • Qudditch- oh yes, both seeker and chaser (eat your heart out Harry)


Luna Lovegood

  • Comic Relief - Everyone needs it in trying times.
  • Compassion - Always out for the best interest. She didn't look at Harry weird when he thought he was going crazy (winged horses, so.not.crazy)
  • Loyalty - Stands by the Quibbler, and her father. Without her we'd never wonder what Blibbering Humdinger or the Crumple-Horned Snorkack were! (It's time we ask questions people!)
Professor McGonagall -

  • Follows Rules - Don't make her give you detention (Harry, Hermione, Ron) don't make her take house points (Harry, Hermione, Ron) she's badazz and has no problem punishing those who aren't following rules.
  • Strong - She doesn't put up with crap. You cause trouble in her neck of the woods she'll be all up in your bizness, best be sure of that, don't talk trash about the main man in charge (Dumbledore) or her little chicks (Hogwarts students) cuz you won't like the wrath of this badazz animagus (better watch yourself Umbridge)
  • Caring - Always has the best interest of members and staff, you need help, she'll help you even out of the stickiest situations.

Molly Weasley


  • Protector - You got something to say? Best watch your back if it's something nasty, this mama bear watches over her cubs, and she has no problem setting those little snakes back in their spots (Bellatrix, any last words?)
  • Motherly - Hungry (why wait, Have some at Molly's) this woman never leaves a child with an empty stomach. Harry Potter's second home, this warm place is all thanks to Molly, without her and her little cubs safe the world would be a very dark place.
  • Trusting - She knows who is trustworthy and when something has been broken, a link in the chain doesn't get past this one, this adorable little worrier will fight for those she loves... this is one mama you'll want on your side (hell yes I'm on Team Molly)

So there you have it... several brave and badazz woman in Harry Potter... kicking butt and taken names.

52 comments:

Renae said...

Talk about girl power! Loved this! These female characters all stand out in their own way, that's what's so fantastic about this series.

Christina Lee said...

Yes yes yes!!! Girls rule and boys drool!

S.A. Larsenッ said...

Hermione is the bomb!! I just love her girl power. Great choices and examples. You know, that would be a great post idea. Hmmm....

Diana Mieczan said...

I love this amazing post!!! Yay to the girls...Loved reading all that info:)
Hugs, my dear...Stay warm and cozy today

Ps: I’m hosting a Pistacho Press GIVEAWAY later today, so please join in :)

Matthew MacNish said...

Awesome. This is so full of win. I love the women of Harry Potter, even the evil ones like Bellatrix and Umbridge, because they're great characters, and even the ridiculous ones like Professor Trelawney, because well ... she ridikulus!

Thanks Jen, love your feature this week. I wrote about Harry today too, well, sort of. Stop by if you have time!

Creepy Query Girl said...

Oh I loved this. All of these characters were awesome and it makes me wonder where JK got the inspiration for some of their quirks. Really great read jen!

Shannon said...

I love the women of Harry Potter. They are all strong, capable women. You forgot Tonks! One of my favorites. =)

Great post.

Unknown said...

Great List! Luna is one of my favorite characters. I love how she totally embraces the weird and doesn't think anything of it.

Stina said...

I love Luna. She's so spacy yet still with it. But I do love Ginny and Hermonie, too. :D

Rezden said...

<3<3 Luna Lovegood/Evanna Lynch <3<3

Lisa Galek said...

Awesome list! Let's hear it for the girls!

My personal favorite Molly Weasley moment, "Not my daughter, you bitch!" Nice one, Mrs. W!

Angela said...

Luna Lovegood rocks! I love quirky characters.

Elena Solodow said...

Luna will always be my soul-sister.

Anonymous said...

Jen dear, I miss reading your wonderful blog!!!
I love your posts. I love girl power! :)




LOVE!

Sondrae Bennett said...

Luna has to be one of my favorite characters ever. Just brilliant.

Lindsay said...

Yay for strong women! Hermione rocks. :)

Summer Ross said...

Hermione is my fav character! great list of brave heroic women!

Margo Kelly said...

Women are AWESOME! Love your posts, and that's why I gave you an award on my blog today! YAY! Check it out: www.margokelly.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

I have come over here from Melissa's blog. I have totally enjoyed your blogs this week, thank you for being so inventive. I really liked this one, women tend to not recognise their strengths and value.

Chris Phillips said...

This is clearly reverse chauvinism! Note how you chose not to mention evil women like Bellatrix Lestrange. j/k great post. McGonagall is my favorite.

Samantha Vérant said...

Girls rock out with their, err. GIRLS RAWK!

Laurel Garver said...

Ginny is so awesome, I wish we'd seen a lot more of her in the books. My daughter squeals with glee when Ginny does her "reducto" charm in the 5th movie. What incredible power under restraint--just what hothead Harry needs in a partner!

I love all these other ladies, too. They each have their own kind of awesome--a panoply of great feminity. (say that 10 times fast!)

Nicole Zoltack said...

"Not my daughter, you bitch!" Best line evah.

And what I loved most about Ginny is that although she loved Harry from the beginning, she didn't sit around and wait for him. She dated other guys and wasn't a lovesick puppy. Awesome, just awesome.

Ashley Hasty said...

Such a fun post! Love it! Girl Power!

http://ashleyanderic.blogspot.com

Jillian said...

You have out done yourself FAV Post ever!!!

Chicks RULE!!!!

Donea Lee said...

You had me all "woot, woot!" from the title alone! :)

I want to be on Team Molly, too!! They are all such strong, independent, smart, talented women. Who doesn't love that?

Colene Murphy said...

Rowling did make some amazingly strong and wonderful women for sure!! Love them! McGonagall broke my heart when she was the first to cry out in the last book at the end. Love her. Mrs. Weasley gave me chills in the end when she dueled with Bellatrix! Still get chills!

Laura S. said...

Fantastic list of badass women! I definitely wouldn't want to be on their hit list!

Kelly Polark said...

Wonderful, stong female characters!
I took a Which Harry Potter Character Are You quiz and I was Molly Weasley. And I so am.

Jessica Bell said...

Hi Jen! I've never read any Harry Potter so don't have much to say but wanted to pop in and say HI! *waves* :o)

Meredith said...

The girls are totally my fave characters in Harry Potter! Well, along with the Weasley twins :) Love Hermione and Ginny and Luna!

Melissa Sarno said...

LOVE, love, love this oist. There are definitely some kick-ass female characters in Harry Potter. I would never mess with any of them, especially that Molly Weasley. She is serious.

Melissa Sarno said...

Oh and by oist, I meant post. Can't spell.

Jai Joshi said...

This is one of the reasons why JKRowling's writing is so precious. All her characters are real people with strengths and flaws and relatable qualities. And her female characters are brilliant!

Jai

Terry Stonecrop said...

I love this post! You nailed them. Hermione is my fave but they are all great female characters.

Golden Eagle said...

I really like Luna Lovegood--she's one of my favorite HP female characters! (Besides Hermione.)

Heather said...

These fabulous girls just go to show why the books are so awesome!

Eliza said...

Go the girls :-)

Shannon O'Donnell said...

YOU rock! :-)

Jolene Perry said...

the Lost Boys!
Cracked me up!

PK HREZO said...

Awesome post! Love those chicks. My fave is 1st and 2nd year Hermione with the bushy hair but not afraid to be smarter than the guys.

Genissa said...

Girl power- woo! I love that the HP series isn't afraid of showing what a girl can do.

Not to mention, that Jo herself is one awesome chick. Crafty, clever, and talented she is.

And her publisher wanted to hide her female awesomeness by using her initials (well, made up middle initial) instead.. how silly of them.

Unknown said...

Heck yes! Hermione FTW!

Not that it's a contest. But I totally love Hermione. And yeah, they would've totally been dead in the water without her.

Theresa Milstein said...

I'm finally making some time for blogging. I love virtually every Harry Potter character. I'm a big fan of Professor McGonagall. I love her reaction when she finds out Harry can fly, when she debates with Umbridge over Harry's future career prospects, and her awesomeness in Book 7.

Melissa said...

YES! Girl power for the win! I love all your statements for each character and your thoughts in parentheses make me laugh, as always.

Do you know my mom commented on your blog today? I told her you were awesome (and have been) and she's been reading all your guys' HP posts and she told me she commented today!

It's this one "I have come over here from Melissa's blog. I have totally enjoyed your blogs this week, thank you for being so inventive. I really liked this one, women tend to not recognise their strengths and value.'

How cool is that?

Jennifer Hillier said...

Great post! There are definitely a lot of badazz women in HP, which I think is a big part of what makes the books so totally awesome.

Julie Hedlund said...

I also love how Ginny got over her initial crush on Harry and became the "it" chick at Hogwarts with boys clamoring for her. She came into her own power rather than waiting around lovesick.

Amy Holder said...

I seriously <3 Luna & Molly! I also love Hermione in the books, but not as much in the movies. I think Emma Watson kind of overacts...but that's just me. I love this post, BTW! Too much fun!

Talli Roland said...

Females DO rock! Of course! I don't know who most of these people are, but they sound cool! :)

Abby Minard said...

Love this Jen!! Girls do rock!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for highlighting the awesome females in the HP universe!

The Words Crafter said...

Fantastic post! I love Luna!!!! I think if she and Neville got married, it would help him be less gloomy. He'd have to smile more.