Hi! Happy Monday! Are you happy? Because I'm happy.
So now that we've settled everyone is happy I can't wait to share with you some super fun news that even your dogs will be jealous of.
The fabulous Carly Phillips stopped by Unedited for a visit. She's by far one of my favorite authors and when she said yes to answering some of my questions I squealed with joy. So sit back and relax because Carly is taking over!
1. How did you come up with your pen name?
I wanted something familiar and my husband's name is Phil - that explains Phillips - and the Carly came from the idea of using the hard "K" sound - so if someone said Carly it'd be close to Karen (at least in my mind, LOL). So Carly Phillips was born!
2. Now that your daughters are growing up how do they feel about your writing? Do their friends know your awesomeness?!
LOL. My awesomeness? Well thank you! But no. I'm just mom. Mom who writes love scenes. Mom who embarrasses them when one of their friends tells one of their teachers and they want to read a Carly Phillips book. :) It's funny. They're definitely proud in their own way ;)
3. How do you like to write stories (beginning to end, post-it's, while drinking too many latte's or wine)?
Beginning to end, revising as I go. Beginning is the hardest part for me - takes me as long to write first hundred pages as last three hundred. Lots and lots of revisions, especially in the beginning, a critique partner (author Janelle Denison) who reads and rereads and rereads until I'm satisfied or close to it! I always say my process is ugly but it works for me!
4. How did you fall into Romance?
Head first. For years I couldn't understand why books I was reading had frustrating or unhappy endings and then one day I started to read paperbacks - I looked up authors that I read in hard cover (Catherine Coulter and LaVyrle Spencer) in paperback, discovered they started writing for Harlequin or another romance line ... and soon I found out there was an entire section of the bookstore devoted to happy endings and I was hooked! When I decided I wanted to try to write one, I bought how to books and read allI the romance books and authors I could! Not really a hardship!
5. Do you prefer reading from a Kindle (or other device) or the hardcover?
Kindle! And that answer shocks me because I never would have believed I was an eReader person! To give up a book ... wow. But I LOVE my Kindle!
6. What genre do you like to read the most?
Contemporary, definitely. Then for awhile contemps became too hard to find consistently so I started reading a select few paranormal authors and was shocked to discover I loved them! (Nalini Singh, Larissa Ione). I used to read historicals but not so much anymore. They don't hold my interest as much these days. Not sure why!
Have you ever read any of your novels once they've been printed?
No. I get one last read right before it goes to final print - after that whatever mistakes I'd find I couldn't change anyway, so I don't see any point in torturing myself!
Fun & Random Questions
1. Milk or dark chocolate - milk
2. Roses or chocolates - both
3. Describe your perfect date - a nice dinner alone, quiet with my husband. I'm not a very overly dramatic romantic type person!
4. Dating horror story - first date with my husband - I'd been to Florida and I burned my face badly, which cracked all over and I was sure I wasn't making a beautiful impression. It was very awkward and uncomfortable for me, LOL. Unbelievably he came back for more!
5. Favorite author - now that's a hard question when so many authors are my friends! ;)
6. Favorite character you wrote - I love so many - Definitely Coop and Lexie overall in Kiss Me If You Can; Definitely Emma in the Simply series ... hard to choose!
So stop by Carly's neck of the woods and check out some of her books, you WILL NOT be disappointed!