Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Facebook and poetry, do they go hand in hand?

I have the fabulous Angela Felsted stopping in for a guest post on how facebook status updates can be like poetry! Why waste time with my blabbering... take it away Angela!

Five ways facebook status updates are like poetry:

1. A punch line is key.

“A transcript of the fight my girls had this morning.
Lainey: Look, Donna. My strawberry's bigger than yours.
Donna: No, it's not!
Me: Stop fighting girls. Size doesn't matter.”

2. Both are more effective if you leave a few things up to the imagination.

“You know you're a mom of little kids when you hear yourself saying stuff like this. ‘Keep your clothes on, please!’”

3. Sometimes the best stuff is the dirtiest.

“Took my kids to the pediatrician today. This is me, ‘Don't touch the equipment. No, stop, don't crawl on the floor. What are you doing? Don't ever play in the trash can!’”

4. Good things happen when you let your creative babies run free.

“Who knew the key to potty training my son was letting him run around naked? My eyes have been opened: naked children are happy children.”

5. Dialogue is good, but only if it has a purpose.

“Donna (age 6): Mom, can I have milk.
Me: You can have water.
Donna, stomping her foot: You're supposed to say yes or no!
Me: Just get your water and stop criticizing me.
Donna: Criticizing isn't even a real word!"

And just for fun, here’s a poem that makes use of my ‘status update’ guidlines:

advice

some say a happy marriage is
based on patience . . . roses
diamonds, strawberries dipped
in warm gooey chocolate.
but I say the state of a
marriage rides on the utterance
of one simple sentence,
“honey, where are my socks?”



Now for the other fun part... her poetry chapbook is being released in January!!! So, if you love Angela and you love poetry you should pre-order it! Aren't they adorable on the cover? There is also a nice little book trailer/music video too!

23 comments:

Laura Pauling said...

I think both tweeting and FB can be like great storytelling and/or poetry!

Unknown said...

Cool. I never thought of it that way. I do love Angela and so I will pick up her book. And yes, the kids on the cover are adorable.

Anne Gallagher said...

I love these "poetry pieces" and can relate. I've said them to my own daughter. And yes, I agree, naked children, are indeed, happy children.

Angela said...

Thanks, Jen. You are the best!

Sarah Tokeley said...

Oh yes, my girlies couldn't wait to take their clothes off, whenever and wherever.

M.J. Fifield said...

Criticizing isn't even a real word!

LOL.

This post caught my attention because I've recently been considering making all my FB status updates in the form of a haiku.

Maria Zannini said...

The Facebook tips are absolutely brilliant. --and hysterical. I'd love to be a fly on your wall.

Jessica Bell said...

Hahaha! I think I even remember some of these!!! Awesome. And yes, Angela is awesome!

Christa Desir said...

These are hilarious status updates. I love when I see these types and I am so glad that I no longer have to see people's points on Mafia Wars. I wish FB didn't keep changing their formats though.

Nicole Zoltack said...

LOL! Those kids on the cover look adorable!

Patti said...

I look at facebook as kind of my journal that I can refer to later on.

Angela said...

@Laura, Yes, facebook is such good practice for showing rather than telling.

@Clarrissa and Nicole, Thanks, I think my kids are cute too. But I'm biased.

@Anne and Sarah, Even my older kids need reminding to put their clothes on sometimes. At least they have no shame.

@MJ, That last one is my favorite too. Sometimes logic is pointless.

@Maria, Thankfully not all my days are this "entertaining."

@Jessica, You probably do remember some of these. You may even have commented on a few of them.

@Christa, Glad you like the updates. I'm not into the mafia thing either.

Jessica Salyer said...

Too funny. I have actually had many similar conversations with my kids. Thanks for the laugh.

J.L. Campbell said...

I'm useless at poetry, but I like the idea of using it for Facebook updates.

anthony stemke said...

Felsted is brilliant and witty.
I remember most of those when my daughter was quite young.
Thank You for the reminicence.

Sh Sh Sh Let the Baby Sleep
Trouble on Earth Day
Author Kathy Stemke (my spouse)

Jennie Bailey said...

Criticizing isn't even a real word - I love it! I love Facebook status updates. My friend Lizzie has some great ones. Her son is a riot. And I can't wait for Angela's poetry chapbook!

Amy Neftzger said...

Jen - I am really enjoying your blog and your humor!

I've listed your blog on my site by passing along the "Versatile Blogger Award." You don't need to officially accept the award if you don't want to take the time away from your normal posts, but I'm hoping to send a few more readers in your direction by giving you this award. You can read my post at

http://neftzger.blogspot.com

Keep up the great work!

Jessica Lindsay said...

Love the idea that facebook entries can be read as poetry. Poets and facebook writers both deal with limited word count, a varied audience, and revolving desires to entertain, highlight, praise, complain, and moralize. :) Great post!

Jennifer Hillier said...

That's a lovely way to look at Facebook! Some funny stuff here, Jen!

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Yeah, Angela!
Is that what I'm missing on Facebook?

Stina said...

I haven't used FB in awhile. I'll have to remember these awesome tips for when I do again.

Theresa Milstein said...

We can ask them to keep their clothes on?

I'm so happy to be out of the 'don't touch' phase. Though I miss having little kids around.

This was a fun post. Thanks, Angela and Jen!

Beth said...

Angela, you're fantastic! Thanks for the words of wisdom.