Friday, July 9, 2010

Fall in love with Fading

Thank you so much Stephanie Boman for taking the time to answer a few questions here at Unedited!

Thank you so much for contacting me. I’m thrilled!

I love meeting fellow writers like yourself and hearing that your novel Fading is in submissions is really exciting. Could you tell us what the novel is about?

Of course! Here’s the blurb:
Sixteen-year-old Lovey doesn't know why Celeste has come back as a spirit after being hit and killed by a car, she's just happy to have her BFF again, in whatever form. But a door has been left open to the spirit world, allowing evil wraiths to enter and torment the living. Adding to her turmoil, new guy Troy Armstrong seems to be interested in Lovey, but the closer she gets to him, the more Celeste begins to fade.


Lovey, whose OCD has gotten worse since the accident, has to make a choice, but it will take a strength she's never known before to overcome her guilt and insecurity. Can Lovey sacrifice the one thing that's ever given her a feeling of self-worth in order to set things right?

I love the premise of your story, did you come with this novel because of someone you loved? Having to let go of another person you loved?

I wrote an embarrassingly awful story about first love when I was a sophomore in high school based on a personal experience. Something good came from that immature writing: the new-guy-falling-for-you premise became the seeds of Fading. I tried to infuse the story with the electric feelings of puppy love I remember having. The rest of the story was pure imagination. While I’ve lost loved ones, I’ve never lost a close friend my age, or had to let them go when I didn’t want to.

Did you know from the beginning you’d want to be a YA author or did you kind of fall into it?

In college I wrote an essay for a creative writing class. When it was critiqued someone asked, “is this a children’s story?” I had not meant to write a children’s story and needless to say, my writing ego took a hit. Years later, when I considered writing my first novel, I pulled that story out and thought, “what’s wrong with being a writer for younger people?” YA books are my favorite books to read, and my voice seems to lean naturally toward that audience.

Is Fading the only book you’ve written or are there others? Do you have any other prospects in the works?

My first novel, the fruits of my failed college creative writing attempt, became Ada, Maid-in-Waiting, a historical novel set in Arthurian days. As many first novels end up, it’s on the back burner on a very low simmer. My second novel was Fading. My third novel is The Book of Esther, A Fairie’s Tale. It’s a modern urban fantasy based on the biblical story, but the persecuted race in this version is Fae.

How long did it take you to snag yourself an agent? How did it feel when you got the email?

It took me about three years from when I first started querying with Ada. I was so thrilled to receive the email that I didn’t know what to do with all the emotion inside me. It was morning, so I had my normal work out, then alternately sobbed and laughed with relief and happiness in the shower.

Fun & Random Questions:
Favorite pizza joint: Tantardino’s on the Lake Almanor Peninsula in Northern California. THE best cheese and crust!
Any snacks while writing: I popped a Jelly Belly here and there.
Favorite writing spot: Our cabin at Lake Almanor.
Favorite Author: Oof, that’s a toughie. I’d have to say, overall, Truman Capote.
Favorite Book: Again with the hard questions! Um, To Kill a Mockingbird? Sense
and Sensibility? I don’t know. How about the dictionary? I absolutely LOVE fat old dictionaries.

Favorite Book Series: I was never much of a series reader. . .unless you count Choose Your Own Adventure books. I read ALL of those! I’ve enjoyed Melissa Marr’s Wicked Lovely books, I believe that would count as a series.
Dragon or Dinosaur: Dragon. . .dinosaurs always kind of scared me.

Be sure to follow her!
Webiste
Blog

I for one am very excited to read Fading and look forward to hearing the great news and the release date of when we will get our hands on this book! BTW I'm with you too Dragons are so much better!! Oh and Choose your own adventure books ROCK!!!!

24 comments:

Vicki Rocho said...

Funny thing, I've been seeing Fading everywhere...so much so that I'm starting to think I've already read it because it feels so familiar!

Thanks for another great interview!

Stina said...

I'm with Vicki. I read the blurb and realized I've read it before somewhere. It sounds great.

Awesome interview!!!

Candyland said...

Sweet interview. Stephanie is top notch.

Laura Pauling said...

I love reading paranormal - ghost stories. Sounds like you have a unique twist. Best of luck with it!

Christina Lee said...

AWESOME!! I loved hearing your story (the sobbing and laughing in the shower thing-something I'd do)!
GOOD LUCK--the book sounds great!!

Matthew MacNish said...

Stephanie is the best! She was on the QQQE last week sharing her query and I'm quite confident she will get FADING sold soon.

Great interview Jen! Thanks for sharing it with us.

Today's guest blogger is Guinevere Rowell!

Christine Danek said...

THis looks like a great book to add to my list. Great interview!
Have a great weekend!

Anonymous said...

BRILLIANT interview! Loved it. Must add book to my list!

Amy Saia said...

Another great one! Thank you!

Clara said...

Great interview! I for myself love dictionaries too, I work with 3 of them for example!

Fuuuun! lol

This book had a great premise!

Dianne K. Salerni said...

Fantastic interview,and sounds like some awesome novels. Can't wait to hear about them making it to print!

Erica Mitchell said...

Fantastic interview! I have no doubt that Fade will be sold soon. WRAITHS! How awesome, I love the idea of wraiths and they are so seldom used. Ha, I do the showering sobbing...sigh. Thanks Jen for providing another great interview, and always so insightful and fun to read.
PS I'm emailing you back just after I get through my blog comments :D I'm no better, no worse though so that's good yeah? kinda..

Joanne said...

Thanks Jen and Stephanie, great interview. I love how you came about to write YA, writing is such a journey taking us to exciting, and unexpected, places!

Crystal Cook said...

Awesome interview Jen! This book sounds so good! :)

Lenny Lee said...

hi miss jen. thanks for doing a cool interview. hi miss stephanie. i liked the interview lots. its neat knowing more about writers and how they got a book idea. fading sounds really cool. cant wait to see it on the shelf at the book store.
...hugs from lenny

Stephanie said...

LOL - I think the writer's blogosphere is a small one. . .Jen found me at Matt's site, and you both share many of the same followers.

Thanks for the wonderful feedback - you have great readers, Jen!

Tahereh said...

how cool! can't wait to read it!!

fab interview, ladies!

Jillian said...

I loved this post. What a great interview. It was especially calming to hear that after three years of querying, an agent was finally found, I guess good things do come to those who wait!

Jemi Fraser said...

It seems most authors have one of 'those' novels simmering way back somewhere!

I'm with you on the dragons - great interview ladies! :)

Diana Mieczan said...

Sounds great and that is a fantastic interview:)
Kisses sweetie and have a fun weekend:)
Muah

Janna Leadbetter said...

Great interview! Best of luck to Stephanie.

Anonymous said...

Great interview! I love the blurb for Fading. :)

Kimberly Franklin said...

So many great interviews this week, Jen! Thanks!!

Carolyn V. said...

Great interview! Wow, three years from the beginning of querying? Yes, that gives me hope! =)