Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Mermaid Kisses

Interview with Tera Lynn Childs!!!

Tera Lynn Childs is no fish out of water, she has several other books out and several on the way!!! To find out more about her check out her website here, where you can also find access to her blog!!

1. Are you sure you aren’t a mermaid in some distant land?

If I were, I’m sure I couldn’t tell you. *winks*

2. When did you realize you wanted to be a young adult writer? Have you
ever dabbled in writing books for adults?

Actually, I started off writing adult books. First, historical romance, and then chick lit. But then I got this idea that could only be a YA book, and I haven’t been able to look back since. That was the summer of 2005.

3. How many books do you currently have published?

I have three books out. Oh. My. Gods., Goddess Boot Camp, and Forgive My Fins.

4. Do you have any other books currently in the works?

Yes, four. First up is the sequel to Forgive My Fins, called Fins Are Forever. Then, next Fall, I’m starting a new (untitled) trilogy about triplet descendants of Medusa.

5. Any advice for aspiring writers?

Read as much as you can, write as much as you can, and become a keen observer of life. Also, finish the %$&# book and find a good agent.

6. Were you ever discouraged through the writing process? What did you do
to work through it?

Always. This career is such a rollercoaster. I was on the phone with my mom, bawling because I was afraid I would never become a published author, just two weeks before I sold Oh. My. Gods. I think you have to let those moments go through your
system, go see a movie or go shopping while they work their way out. Then, you take a deep breath and say, “Okay, this is what I want to do. And I am going to keep working as hard as I can to achieve it.”


7. How about when you heard your story would be published?

I was in Florida for the summer, and I was going to see a movie (see previous question for why). I was on the phone with my mom, whining about my non-career, when a New York number buzzed in. When my agent told me about the offer, I said, “Hold on, I’ll pull over.” She said, “You’re driving? Don’t be driving!”

Silly questions –
Favorite spot to write. Starbucks
Favorite song right now. Paris (Ooh La La) by Grace Potter and the Nocturnals
Favorite ice cream flavor. I’m vegan now, so no more ice cream. But if Ben & Jerry’s ever brought back White Russian I would totally make an exception.
Dinosaurs or dragons. Dragons, because they’re magical and because
my critique partner has a dragon book coming out this fall (Firelight by Sophie Jordan)

Chocolate or Gummy Bears. Chocolate, but only certain types
Favorite drink. Pineapple Fanta
Rain or snow? Both, but if I could only have one, then rain
Computer or notepad? Alphasmart (but, given the choices, notepad)
Chick flick or horror? Chick flick (but I prefer action/adventure)
Bicycle or rollerblades? Bicycle, maybe (I’m about to buy one)
Book you are currently reading (if any?) The Making of a Duchess by
Shana Galen (historical romance)

Favorite Author. Jaclyn Moriarty.
Favorite Book Series. The Hunger Games (gah, where is Mockingjay?!?)

Isn't she the best!!! If you haven't checked out her novel Forgive My Fins you must! It was the cutest story and one for the shelves!!! Sophie Jordan's novel Firelight coming out in Sept 2010 is another wonderful read (I know you've seen my review!!)

34 comments:

Jennifer Shirk said...

Great interview! I WILL check out her book! Thx!

JE said...

"Also, finish the %$&# book and find a good agent."

To true!! So many people never finish the book! That's the easy part if you ask me. ;-)

Great interview, Jen!

~JD

Tamara Hart Heiner said...

she sounds like such a fun author! those books look totally awesome!

Terri Tiffany said...

She sounds fun! I like that the agent said pull over!! LOL

Vicki Rocho said...

These all sound great! Going on the list. Are you on Amazon's payroll by any chance? Do you know how many books you've put on the list?

Candyland said...

HA! Yeah I guess the book should get finished first! Great interview!!!
(PS, can you add my contest to your sidebar?) (pretty please) (with sugar)

The Urban Cowboy said...

Awesome interview, I'm gonna check her out some.

Christina Lee said...

Aww I love your story--and having to pull over to hear the news--perfect!

Joanne said...

Thanks for the interview. I love her Florida success story, from tears to publication in one day!

Jillian said...

She is a gem. So funny. I love her reaction to her agents news. Hilarious!!

Crystal Cook said...

Another great interview Jen! I have been wanting to get my hands on her book for a while now :) It's very encouraging to read all these tips from published authors. So cool Jen!!

Shelley Sly said...

Very fun interview, and her book sounds so interesting! I'm glad she was able to find success after feeling so discouraged -- always a happy story to hear!

vic caswell said...

hee hee. i love that she'd make an exception for white russian ice cream!

Renae said...

What a great interview. I love her story and can't wait to read her book.

Anonymous said...

Nice interview Jen. I heard an author interview recently who didn't like that her books were in the YA section. She believes books should not be categorized, and teens shoud feel free to wander the entire book store. I've wondered if other YA authors feel the same. Kind of an off topic, but its a question I'd like to ask other YA authors. Maybe when I'm back at my writing blog in September!

sarahjayne smythe said...

Great interview, great post. I'm going to have to check her out. :)

Jaimie Teekell said...

Awesome interview. I was looking at "Oh. My. Gods." last week on Amazon.com.

Jemi Fraser said...

Super interview! Thanks for sharing :)

Rachel said...

Great interview, Jen! Tera is a hoot! Oh.My.Gods. and Forgive My Fins are very high on my TBR list right now, and after reading an excerpt she had of Fins on her website (that I traveled to through your blog) it's now a much higher priority. She has great writing style.

Thanks again!

Laura S. said...

"Also, finish the %$&# book and find a good agent." Hear, hear! Well said, Tera!!!

Thanks for another fabulous interview, Jen!

Anonymous said...

Great interview! I love the titles of her books (probably because I'm a huge fan of puns and wordplay, no matter how low-brow people say they are.)

Thank you for stopping by and checking in on me, Jen. You are too, too sweet! I'm doing well and am currently plotting ideas (and time) for upcoming blog posts. Eventually I'll get myself sorted out but for now I'll just keep trucking along.

<3<3<3

Lenny Lee said...

thanks miss jen. i always like reading about writers and how they do things and what problems they had. it give me lots of hopes that i can be a good writer some day.

Tiana Smith said...

Ha ha "finish the %$&# book" I love it. So true. If more people actually finished their books though, we'd have more competition :)

Janet Johnson said...

Great interview. I love that it was only two weeks later that the call came. :)

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the interview. I adore mermaids but have never read a novel with one at the center. I'll have to check Tera's books out!

Carolyn V. said...

Oh, Tera is so cool. =) I love the interview! How cool about getting the call!

Diana Mieczan said...

She is cool:) That is such a great interview:) Kisses,sweetie...I love your interview posts:)
Muah

Talli Roland said...

Jen, I love your interview - those short questions at the end always rock!

Pineapple Fanta! I've never heard of that!

Kristin Rae said...

She has great advice! Great interview, Jen! She will forever remind me of you, I think, since I met you at her signing ;)

I still need to read Forgive My Fins!! I'm so slow!!!

I LOVE that she is waiting for Mockingjay just like the rest of us. lol.

Terry Stonecrop said...

Forgive My Fins! :) The title alone makes me want to read it.

Fun interview. I love her stories.

Lynda R Young as Elle Cardy said...

Great interview :)

It makes me want to hunt down the books and buy them

Kimberly Franklin said...

I can't wait to read this book!!

Eva said...

I feel better hearing about the struggles of published authors before they were published. Sometimes it feels impossible but that keeps me going.

Robert Guthrie said...

Prolific writers are so motivating!