Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Liar Society Love

We all know these fabulous sisters and they were sweet enough to accept an interview here on my blog!!! So sit back and relax as we take a wild ride with the lovely Lisa & Laura!

1. So for those who currently live under rocks and are unaware of what your book Liar Society (due in 2011) is all about will you give us the rundown?

LIAR SOCIETY features Kate Lowry whose best friend Grace died the year before. On the
anniversary of Grace’s death, Kate receives the following email from her:

Kate,
I'm here…
sort of.
Find Cameron.
He knows.
I shouldn't be writing.
Don't tell.
They'll hurt you.

Kate has no choice but to play detective and prove once and for all that Grace’s death was more than just a tragic accident. The emails continue and Kate is forced to confront the school's resident druggie, a sketchy administrator and even her own demons.

As she moves closer and closer to the truth, she teams up with a couple of knights-in-(not so)shining armor--the dangerously attractive, bad boy, Liam and her love-struck neighbor, Seth.

The three uncover an ancient secret lurking in the halls of their elite private school with the power to destroy them all.

But the truth doesn’t always set you free. Sometimes it’s only the beginning.

2. I hear that you are working on Liar Society 2... And are very close to being finished, care to give us a few secrets??

We have just completed our first (very rough) draft of book 2. We’ve got amnesia, love triangles, sketchy new girls and one missing Queen Bee. It’s probably a hot mess right now, but we promise it will be in tip-top shape sometime soon!

3. Are there any ideas for after you are finished with Liar Society 2?

We have an idea for a new series that we’re itching to get started on. We also have an entire Idea Whore file devoted to all things Kate.

4. Are you terrified for THE END? What will you do when the series is complete? Cry, scream, ask a hobo for help?

We go back and forth. When we first began Book 2, we wanted to pull our collective hair out. No one told us sequels were so hard! But once we got in the rhythm, elements began to fall into place. Now I think we have the confidence to pull off an entire series. There may be a few tears once this is all over! But hopefully we’ll be working on our other series idea, so there will be no hard feelings.

5. How do you both deal with one another while writing? I have two sisters and we would never be able to write with one another… is there a secret power that you two have to handle it all?

It’s funny because while we’re writing, we’re distracted and busy. We don’t have time to fight. If we ever disagree about the direction of a chapter, we just change it. Usually, whatever the other one comes up with is better anyways. But watching a book come together before your eyes is so much more fun than arguing about it. When we’re not writing? All bets are off.

6. Are you a pansters or outliners?

Definitely outliners, although our final product looks nothing like the initial outline. We appreciate having direction as we write—it makes Lisa feel more in control of the process—control freak that she is.

7. Do you find the revision process a total nightmare or are you a fan?

Lisa HATES revising—probably because she’s the one who always takes first stab at the
document as Laura follows behind. Revising mysteries is really confusing because you lose track of where you’re supposed to drop clues, when you did and what they were. Not to mention who the reader should be suspecting and when! It all gets very complicated as we’re trying to revise.

8. What’s your favorite part of the writing process?

The first draft. This is the time when we get to be both readers and writers. It’s so much fun to get a shiny new chapter in your inbox.

9. How did you go about deciding who to query? How many queries did you send out? About how long did it take to get the call? Do you remember what you were both doing when you got the call/email/facebook message?

For our first (doomed) manuscript, we sent out a query to every young adult agent in the industry. We’re not kidding. While we received some encouraging feedback about our voice, the book was beyond repair. That’s when we decided to write another. When we were ready to query LIAR SOCIETY, we identified 15 dream agents, figuring we’d start at the top. We ended up with three offers for representation a week later. Lisa intercepted the call from Catherine while Laura was in Baltimore—there was a whole lot of screaming involved—from both her kids and us.

10. Do you have a critique group or beta readers that you adore?

We have a few very trusted beta readers who help us whip our work into shape. We
appreciate ruthlessness. Plus, Catherine applies what she calls the “mean agent treatment” to the manuscript, which helps too.

11. Are you currently living the dream of being full-time writers are do you have other less exciting day jobs?

Since Lisa was laid off last year, we are both full-time writers (and moms). Balancing the two is very interesting. We do the bulk of our writing at night (or I guess I should say, in the wee hours of the morning). Yeah, we don’t sleep.

12. What does the day in the life of Lisa & Laura look like?

Daytime is full of kid-wrangling. But we’ve learned how to sneak in a few words during the day—thank you Nick Jr., gym childcare and naptime. At night we try to catch up on blogs, write our own posts and complete at least a chapter a day while we’re writing. When we’re really motivated to complete a manuscript, we commit to a strict two chapter a day schedule. It’s insane.

13. Any advice for aspiring writers?

This business is SO subjective, ridiculously so. Books that we love, others hate. NEVER give up. Writers say it all the time, but it’s so true: It only takes one. This goes for agents and editors. The best part about writing is that there is always another manuscript to be written, another agent to be queried, another editor to send work to. The only thing you have to lose is time.

14. If you could live anywhere in the world where would you be? Curve ball - you only get to bring two things with you… what would they be… and why?

Laura would live on Daydream Island in the Great Barrier Reef. The sand seriously feels like you’re stepping on a cloud.

Lisa would live in Cleveland. [Editorial Note: When I asked Lisa this question, she asked a million in return. Can I bring my family? What about extended? She was very concerned at having to leave everyone. Then she said Cleveland and I said
that had to be her final answer.] We’re assuming we could bring our husbands and children, right? Right. In that case, our two items would be our laptops, which are really just an extension of our arms, and our Kindles.

Fun & Random Questions
Favorite restaurant – Lemongrass in Coventry
Favorite book series – Hunger Games Trilogy
Favorite tv series - Glee
Favorite reality show (I know you both have one!) – Anything on Bravo
Current read – INCARCERON by Catherine Fisher
Snow or rain - Rain
Chick flick or horror – Chick flick
Sweet or salty - Sweet
Lion or Kangaroo - Kangaroo
Favorite writing spot - Couch
Favorite writing snack - Twizzlers

Thank you so much to these awesome chicks!!! If you have to follow them you must do it now! They are one seriously does of awesomeness not to be missed!!! Go check them out now! :)

52 comments:

Diana Mieczan said...

They are amazing...Thanks sweetie for this interview....Yuppie:) I loved it...Have a fantastic day
Kisses

Stina said...

Great interview. I can't wait to read the Liar Society, and even more so for #2 (I've heard the romance is hotter (okay, maybe not steamy hot)).

lisa and laura said...

Yay Jennifer! Thank you so much for having us!!!!

Mason Canyon said...

Wonderful interview and Liar Society sounds like a very intriguing book. Best of luck.

Mason
Thoughts in Progress

Anonymous said...

WOW! Fab interview!

Theresa Milstein said...

Interesting interview. I can't imagine writing with someone else, so I find it impressive that it all comes together.

Good luck with book 1 and book 2.

Summer Frey said...

Great interview Jen!

I like that Lisa chose to stay in Cleveland. I think my husband would have an answer like that...

Jaydee Morgan said...

Another great interview :)

Carolina M. Valdez Schneider said...

Whoa. The only answer to those final questions that would not have been exactly like mine is the restaurant. And that's because I've never been there. Oh, and well, I probably would not have chosen Cleveland. I have a feeling only Lisa would. So I'm going with Laura's answer on that one.

Super interview, Jen! And brilliant questions! I cannot wait for Liar Society to come out.

Nighfala said...

Hi Jen! Thanks for being my 60th follower. That is so cool! I was wondering when I would break 60.

I need to have a contest or something sometime soon.

Go have 60 M&M's or something... on me.

DL Hammons said...

Great job Jen!! I loved learning more about LiLa. I don't read YA, but Liar Society sounds intriguing! Could this be the one that makes me a convert??

Dianne K. Salerni said...

Fantastic interview! Thanks, Jen, Lisa, and Laura!

A chapter a day! Wow ... I guess it pays to have 2 of you! And that's on top of the kids and the blogging and the Write On Con and I can't believe how many books you read, too!

I bow down in awe, ladies!

Lenny Lee said...

hi miss jen! thanks for a cool interview. hi miss lisa and miss laura! i think its soooo neat that you guys could write stuff together specially without fighting. ha ha. im real happy for you getting your book published. im glad you said how you just gotta keep trying. i think if you really really love writing stuff then youll get past rejects and keep on writing. i like interviews cause i could learn lots about folks and learn some cool stuff on writing. cant wait to see your book on the book store shelf.
...hugs from lenny

Creepy Query Girl said...

Great interview Jen! I loved finding more about L&L's upcoming book and their process- thanks girls!

Elisa Dane said...

Great interview! I can't wait to read this book!

Candyland said...

I love to start my day with a little LiLa. FANTASTIC interview.

Clara said...

That's a great interview!!! LOVED IT, absolutely!I think its so great that they managed to write a book together, that ws mind blowing!
And I love Glee too, I'm so buying this book lol =D

Little Ms J said...

You ladies are adorable. Twizzlers all around!

Joanne said...

Thanks Lisa, Laura and Jen. I think it's great that the two of you write books together. You sound like sisters, and the best of friends too! Best wishes ...

Erica Mitchell said...

Thank you Lisa, Laura and Jen (you always have fabulous interviews). This series sounds amazing and the authors are so sweet! I'll be checking out their website for sure today as I make my rounds. I love the concept for this series, so cool! And yeah laptops are really an extention of the arms lol. Love that <33333

Jennifer Shirk said...

So interesting! I can't imagine writing with another person, although I've talked about doing it with a friend.
I can't wait to read their book!

Maddy said...

Wow!! A sister writing duo?? I love the idea! And what a great bonding experience...to be able to create something together!

Abby said...

This book sounds interesting! I love mysteries. Too bad it's still a few years before it comes out.

Good advice for aspiring writers. It's discouraging at times. Don't give up!

Elana Johnson said...

I <3 LiLa. That is all. :)

Christina Lee said...

LiLa you are all over the place today! Another great interview, Jen! <333 you guys!

Laura S. said...

Love this! LiLa is a fabulous duo! Thanks for another awesome interview, Jen!

... Paige said...

What a great interview

and how fun the Favorites

Renae said...

What a great interview! I love these two and can't wait to read their book.

Hilary Melton-Butcher said...

Hi Lisa and Laura .. and Jen - great to read about the Liar Society Love .. and how two writers fit everything in .. kids, hubbies and all!

Thank you .. Hilary

Jemi Fraser said...

Terrific interview! I love the way Lisa & Laura go back and forth with their writing - fun stuff! :)

Amy Saia said...

What a great interview. I love, love reading about other writers and how they work, also how they made it to publication. Thank you once again, Jen!

Anonymous said...

Great interview. They sound very interesting.
Have a great Wednesday!




LOVE!

Tahereh said...

love these ladies!! they are nothing but all kinds of awesome in the blogosphere!!

Same Sweet Girl: Memoir of a Southern Belle said...

Hi!!! Thanks so much for following!! I am extremely excited that you followed so I was able to find YOUR blog!!! I have not heard of this book (I live under a rock) but it sounds AMAZING and I definitely want to get my hands on a copy when it comes out! :)

Jen said...

Lisa and Laura?? This is the first that I've heard of them but so glad you mentioned them!! Now I can love them too! ;-)

Talli Roland said...

Great interview, Jen - as usual (including my own of course, hehehe!).

Seriously, I enjoyed reading about how hard writing a sequel can be - I always assumed it would be easier. Consistency-wise, I guess I can see how it would be difficult.

Thanks ladies!

Tamara Hart Heiner said...

wow, what a fantastic interview. I never thought about how hard revising a mystery would be! so much to keep trackof! I've always wondered how two authors can write together.

Carolyn V. said...

Yay for the outlining! Lisa and Laura rock! I can't wait for the book! Seriously, I just can't wait to read it! =D

Sitting Behind Homeplate said...

What an exciting book you have coming out. I can't wait to read it.

Kimberly Franklin said...

I love the premise of this book and can't wait to get my hands on it.

Thanks for another great interview, girls!!

Janet Johnson said...

These are two fun chicas! Can't wait to read their book. :)

The Words Crafter said...

They sound like a lot of fun!

Anonymous said...

You have a great looking blog here. Good luck in your writing journey.

Robert Guthrie said...

Oh, the power of distraction & keeping busy...

Tamara Narayan said...

Wonderful interview. I love their advice for aspiring authors.

Eva said...

You need to stop finding so many awesome books that I need to read, the stack beside my bed is falling over :)

WritingNut said...

Great interview - I'm so interested in this book!

Lydia Kang said...

Wonderful interview, Lisa and Laura! Thanks Jen! I'm so looking forward to reading this book!

erica m. chapman said...

Great interview, Jen!!

Lila, you always entertain and encourage. Love it all ;o) Thanks for sharing!

Melissa said...

Jen you are one of the best interviewers out there! Love this.

I follow LiLa's blog but am fairly new and didn't know so much about their book (just knew I wanted to read it because I love their posts!). I'm so glad to have a little break down and am seriously intrigued!

Joanne Brothwell said...

I'm so looking forward to this book!

Great interview, Thanks!

Meredith said...

I love this interview! Their blog is awesome, and Liar Society sounds amazing. Can't wait to read it!