Wednesday, August 4, 2010

In love with Firelight

Today I have a local author, Sophie Jordan!!!! I'm so excited to introduce her, she has a upcoming YA novel titled Firelight, debuting in September! This is a MUST READ so pre-order it now!!! You will not be disappointed!

Okay now for the awesome interview!!!! Enjoy!

1. Your upcoming YA novel Firelight is about to release September 7th, would you like to give us the run-down on what the book is all about?

Well, the blurb says it better than I ever could:
Marked as special at an early age, Jacinda knows her every move is watched. But she longs for freedom to make her own choices. When she breaks the most sacred tenet among her kind, she nearly pays with her life. Until a beautiful stranger saves her. A stranger who was sent to hunt those like her. For Jacinda is a draki—a descendant of dragons whose greatest defense is her secret ability to shift into human form.

Forced to flee into the mortal world with her family, Jacinda struggles to adapt to her new surroundings. The only bright light is Will. Gorgeous, elusive Will who stirs her inner draki to life. Although she is irresistibly drawn to him, Jacinda knows Will's dark secret: He and his family are hunters. She should avoid him at all costs. But her inner draki is slowly slipping away—if it dies she will be left as a human forever. She'll do anything to prevent that. Even if it means getting closer to her most dangerous enemy.

Mythical powers and breathtaking romance ignite in this story of a girl who defies all expectations and whose love crosses an ancient divide.

This story seriously rocks! I kid you not, it will have you in a trance at page one! Beautifully written, and Sophie Jordan has a gift at romance for sure!!

2. I love that Jacinda can breathe fire, what a cool power to have! Where did this idea come from? Have you always wanted to breathe fire?

I guess the idea followed immediately on the heels of deciding that my heroine is a descendant from dragons. The ability to breathe fire just flashed into my head as a natural connection to dragons. And once it hit me, I knew I was on to something good. So good I decided to make her even more special by making her the last fire-breather of her kind.

So this makes sense right! A dragon descendant breathing fire! Just wait, because she's not done yet, she has other gifts in the dragon world that creative thinkers like yourself would LOVE!

3. How did you come up with the names for your characters?

Well, the human names were fairly ordinary picks, but the draki names I gave a little more thought. They needed to be a tad exotic … since they didn’t belong to humans. I wanted draki names to sound a little “old”, too. And of course they have to “fit” the character. Sometimes you just know when a name works for the character in your mind. I knew Jacinda’s name immediately. It had been lurking in the back of my mind for a few years waiting for the right character.

The names rocked!

4. How long did it take you to write you first novel? Was it accepted by an agent?

I probably spent a few months writing it, then I revised off and how over the course of the following year … all the while actively submitting it to agents and working on a new project. I signed with an agent probably two years after I wrote that first book. And yes, miraculously, it was that first book I wrote that she sold.

I love hearing the first book stories! Shows that writers it is more than possible to sell your first book!

5. Will Firelight be a series or just one novel?

The plan so far is for Firelight to be a three book trilogy. I’m contracted for three books.

YAY! I cannot wait for two more installments!

6. Any other secret projects in the works?

Well, Firelight has been optioned for film! And the film company has asked for my input/involvement regarding the adaption of the book. That’s been somewhat hush-hush news I’ve been sitting on. Really excited!

Wow! That is such awesome news!! It would make one awesome movie!

7. What’s your favorite part of the writing process?

As painful as it is, I probably love revising a book the most. That’s when the magic happens (and the blood and sweat). There is rarely anything magical about my first drafts! ;)

I'm finding that revisions might be my favorite as well!

Fun & Random Questions
• Favorite bookshop – KATY BUDGET BOOKS
• Favorite place to eat – HUNGRY’s
• Salty or Sweet – Both combined.
• Favorite ice cream – Any peanut butterish flavor
• Favorite book series – Hunger Games
• Dragons or Dinosaurs – Ha! Dragons.
• Chick flick or horror – Horror
• Person who most inspires you – My father
• Snow or rain – Rain
• Favorite place to write – My patio
• What are you reading right now – Delirium by Lauren Oliver
• Favorite treat while writing – Chips and guac!

There you have it!!! Isn't she amazing?! Now go and check out her website and pre-order your copy of Firelight today!!

36 comments:

Jennifer Shirk said...

Hi, Sophie!
Totally looking forward to reading FIRELIGHT when it's out!

Diana Mieczan said...

That really sounds like a great read and she is so lovely:) great interview, darling:)

Kisses and hugs

Ps: I am having a really great GIVEAWAY today…hint?(something you can wear) so please join in !!!!

I think you will love it...hahahha

JE said...

Wow--it was her first book and now it's optioned for a movie. Sweetness!! Congrats, Sophie!

It sounds like a great book!

~JD

Artemis Grey said...

Hi Sophie! Speaking of great names, I must tell you that I LOVE the name Sophie... that's one is floating around in the back of MY head waiting for the right character.

Awesome to meet you, congrats on your successes thus far... here's to many more :)

I'm glad to here that you didn't 'shelve' that first book, but kept sending it out while working on other things. I'm in that spot right now where people have suggested that I stop sending out the YA I've got out to agents, despite having gotten good feedback from agents. I've resisted because I just have a good feeling about it, and now I'm happy that I've resisted. There might come a time when it gets set aside, but not yet.

Susan Fields said...

How exciting that she's got a three book deal and they're making a movie of it!

Thanks for a great interview, Jen!

Jackee said...

Sophie and her book sounds wonderful! And her trilogy one that I would love to share with my daughter, a dragon fanatic.

Thanks for sharing, ladies!


And Jen, I'll have the answer to your questions up on my blog later today. :o) Cheers!

Shannon said...

Looks like an excellent read! Thanks for introducing me to it, Jen.

Best of luck, Sophie! :)

Lindsay said...

I'm so looking forward to Firelight when it comes out. Great interview, Jen :)

Erica Mitchell said...

Another fab interview! Okay, I have to admit I have never been a big fan of dragon stories but this one for 100% sure has my attention and I'm so excited for it to come out! How cool, and I love the twist that she is a decendent and can breathe fire! That has to be kind of a kissing nightmare ;)
Thanks so much Sophie for sharing and Jen for another great interview and for being the first two people to sell me on a dragon story. My husband will love me for this since he is a dragon nut! And we read together to help me sleep :)

The Urban Cowboy said...

Firelight sounds rockin! I'm keeping my eyes out for it, and looking forward to reading.

Crystal Cook said...

I can not wait for this book to come out! Great interview Jen :)

Unknown said...

Great interview! And talk of a movie?? HOW COOL!!!!!

Looking forward to picking up my copy!

Jillian said...

This genre is always so captivating. Congrats on the up coming release!! Super excited for you.

These interviews are always so great to read.

Summer Ross said...

This was a great interview. It sounds like a very intriguing book to read. thank you for posting.

Jaydee Morgan said...

Great interview. The book sound like something I'd definitely read - and congrats on the three-book deal and movie option. That's fantastic!

Rose Cooper said...

Sophie, your book sounds amazing! I can't wait to read it! And yes, congrats on the three book deal AND movie option! Wow! That's something to be celebrated. How awesome!!! And thanks Jen,for introducing us to Sophie!

Robert Guthrie said...

First draft in a few months. Totally inspiring.

Jemi Fraser said...

Firelight sounds fabulous - can't wait :)

Laura S. said...

Sophie's novel has been on my to-read list for awhile now. The dragon premise is so awesome! Vampires, werewolves, and zombies are so last year. Bring on the dragons!!!

Unknown said...

What a great success story. It so good to hear that it happens. Thanks for the great interview, ladies!

Elle Strauss

Lenny Lee said...

hi miss jen and miss sophie! what a neat interview. that book sounds soooooo cool. i want to read it right now. i love dragons and dragon stuff. wow im getting my popcorn and soda ready so i could go see it at the movies. :)
...hugs and smiles from lenny

Southpaw said...

You had me at the first paragraph in the blurb!

j.leigh.bailey said...

I can't wait to read this book. Descendants of dragons are kind of a thing for me! Great interview!

Talli Roland said...

Great interview, ladies - as usual! I like the sound of Will! In fact, the whole book sounds good. I must add it to my list!

Jolene Perry said...

I love that everyone seems to have a writing snack. Thanks for posting the interview.

Jai Joshi said...

Great interview, Jen. Sophie Jordan sounds cool and this new book sounds really great too!

Jai

Jennie Bailey said...

Pre-ordering! This sounds FANFREAKINTASTIC! Thanks for the interview, Jen! You score the best interviews and have filled my entire calendar for at least the next year with great reading!

Ann said...

Great interview. The book sounds like a good read, must add it to my ever-growing list. Congratulations on your success and all future successes.

Terry Stonecrop said...

Another great interview! And the book sounds amazing:)

Theresa Milstein said...

This book sounds like something I'd read. Congrats on getting a contract for a trilogy + a movie.

Belle said...

Shape shifting and dragons - it sounds like a fabulous read!

LTM said...

congrats, Sophie! And all the best of luck w/your book. It sounds amazing~ :o)

Kimberly Franklin said...

Amazing interview! I can't wait to read Fire Light! I've heard so much about it. :)

Angie said...

This sounds totally cool. Will be looking for it. :)

Anonymous said...

Great interview! I've always loved dragons, and am definitely looking forward to this!

Meredith said...

Can't wait to read this one!!! I've heard amazing things. And this is such a great interview! I'm very glad it's going to be a trilogy :)