Today I have a local author, Sophie Jordan!!!! I'm so excited to introduce her, she has a upcoming YA novel titled Firelight, debuting in September! This is a MUST READ so pre-order it now!!! You will not be disappointed!
Okay now for the awesome interview!!!! Enjoy!
1. Your upcoming YA novel Firelight is about to release September 7th, would you like to give us the run-down on what the book is all about?
Well, the blurb says it better than I ever could:
Marked as special at an early age, Jacinda knows her every move is watched. But she longs for freedom to make her own choices. When she breaks the most sacred tenet among her kind, she nearly pays with her life. Until a beautiful stranger saves her. A stranger who was sent to hunt those like her. For Jacinda is a draki—a descendant of dragons whose greatest defense is her secret ability to shift into human form.
Forced to flee into the mortal world with her family, Jacinda struggles to adapt to her new surroundings. The only bright light is Will. Gorgeous, elusive Will who stirs her inner draki to life. Although she is irresistibly drawn to him, Jacinda knows Will's dark secret: He and his family are hunters. She should avoid him at all costs. But her inner draki is slowly slipping away—if it dies she will be left as a human forever. She'll do anything to prevent that. Even if it means getting closer to her most dangerous enemy.
Mythical powers and breathtaking romance ignite in this story of a girl who defies all expectations and whose love crosses an ancient divide.
This story seriously rocks! I kid you not, it will have you in a trance at page one! Beautifully written, and Sophie Jordan has a gift at romance for sure!!
2. I love that Jacinda can breathe fire, what a cool power to have! Where did this idea come from? Have you always wanted to breathe fire?
I guess the idea followed immediately on the heels of deciding that my heroine is a descendant from dragons. The ability to breathe fire just flashed into my head as a natural connection to dragons. And once it hit me, I knew I was on to something good. So good I decided to make her even more special by making her the last fire-breather of her kind.
So this makes sense right! A dragon descendant breathing fire! Just wait, because she's not done yet, she has other gifts in the dragon world that creative thinkers like yourself would LOVE!
3. How did you come up with the names for your characters?
Well, the human names were fairly ordinary picks, but the draki names I gave a little more thought. They needed to be a tad exotic … since they didn’t belong to humans. I wanted draki names to sound a little “old”, too. And of course they have to “fit” the character. Sometimes you just know when a name works for the character in your mind. I knew Jacinda’s name immediately. It had been lurking in the back of my mind for a few years waiting for the right character.
The names rocked!
4. How long did it take you to write you first novel? Was it accepted by an agent?
I probably spent a few months writing it, then I revised off and how over the course of the following year … all the while actively submitting it to agents and working on a new project. I signed with an agent probably two years after I wrote that first book. And yes, miraculously, it was that first book I wrote that she sold.
I love hearing the first book stories! Shows that writers it is more than possible to sell your first book!
5. Will Firelight be a series or just one novel?
The plan so far is for Firelight to be a three book trilogy. I’m contracted for three books.
YAY! I cannot wait for two more installments!
6. Any other secret projects in the works?
Well, Firelight has been optioned for film! And the film company has asked for my input/involvement regarding the adaption of the book. That’s been somewhat hush-hush news I’ve been sitting on. Really excited!
Wow! That is such awesome news!! It would make one awesome movie!
7. What’s your favorite part of the writing process?
As painful as it is, I probably love revising a book the most. That’s when the magic happens (and the blood and sweat). There is rarely anything magical about my first drafts! ;)
I'm finding that revisions might be my favorite as well!
Fun & Random Questions
• Favorite bookshop – KATY BUDGET BOOKS
• Favorite place to eat – HUNGRY’s
• Salty or Sweet – Both combined.
• Favorite ice cream – Any peanut butterish flavor
• Favorite book series – Hunger Games
• Dragons or Dinosaurs – Ha! Dragons.
• Chick flick or horror – Horror
• Person who most inspires you – My father
• Snow or rain – Rain
• Favorite place to write – My patio
• What are you reading right now – Delirium by Lauren Oliver
• Favorite treat while writing – Chips and guac!
There you have it!!! Isn't she amazing?! Now go and check out her website and pre-order your copy of Firelight today!!