Last week I talked about what agents are buying. The more I thought about the post, the more I realized with all the ‘we’re looking for’ in the agent world it’s easy to get down. As writers part of the job description is doubt. There are several points in my writing that I have a moment of weakness.
It is then I call my go to buddies – You know who you are.
However I can’t always rely on awesome blogger buddies (this is a hypothetical… of course I’ll ALWAYS rely on them… they’re better then chocolate chip cookies – maybe).
When doubt gets me down I go for the basics:
1. Watch a good chick flick (if you’re male or just don’t like chick flicks seek alternative movie option): I normally go with heartfelt and warming and lovey dovey (cuz that’s my thing). It always puts me in a good place.
2. Bubble baths (If you’re male or hate baths – what’s wrong with you?): I love the scent of lavender, oh so soothing, and relaxing. It allows me to clear my head of negativity.
3. Writing prompts: When I’m feeling down these normally blow… BUT… it helps gain my life back. I’ve written something along the lines of – what does an apple feel when left in the basket on the kitchen counter. I start off saying “what the hell” and end with something silly creative. Gets the juices flowing.
4. Ask for positive feedback: I’m a sucker. When in need I ask my hubby, friend, cat (meowing counts), or blog buddy to share something positive about me. Yes, it sounds conceded (make sure it’s about writing) but it’s that go to letter that brightens your day on the bluest of days (Sarah Pearson is my fabulous letter).
5. Remember why you write: You write because you love. Even if you’re at the querying stage and nothing is going write NEVER GIVE UP. Writers don’t say it to keep you going; they say it because it’s true. Keep writing you’re good at it because you’re hardworking and love it. Each word allows improvement.
How do you deal with doubt? Any remedies I might have missed?