Monday, June 11, 2012

Marketing Monday - Alice and The Big Six


Think Alice in Wonderland (publishing style)… but probably even more twisted.
You take a sip of the bottle (aka the world of publishing) and are instantly tiny in the world of the big six and the six figure authors. You walk through the doors to start your journey and suddenly start meeting interesting people like yourself.
The mad hatter seems less mad and more magical and the red queen is merely the next obstacle (or writers block) for your second novel.
Alice’s mad mad world is truly appreciated by those who are equally as unique and creative. Alice was often frustrated when she couldn’t find her way back… I think we as writers feel frustration when that certain chapter/scene/story isn’t going the way we anticipated. The mad world causes us to continue to travel until we find the solution we’d been looking for all along. Thanks to the Cheshire cat he directed us to the next crazy obstacle we were meant to overcome.

So the next time you’re feeling like the phase you’re in might be too much make sure to stop by and visit the caterpillar, he has some very insightful things to say… or maybe that’s just what the cat told me.

I suppose that's why it's called Wonderland, we all wonder when we'll get there.

11 comments:

Natalie Aguirre said...

Never thought of writing this way. But it's so true.

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Or we wonder what we're doing there!

Jillian said...

This might just be my favorite post yet!

Meredith said...

Haha, aw, I love this! Such a perfect analogy. :)

Unknown said...

Might be more pointed if I had read Alice in Wonderland before. However, crazy world is right.

Johanna Garth said...

I have a long and deep connection with Alice. I played her in a school play, a bad movie filmed in NYC and now I can look to her for writing inspiration. Loved this post! Thanks Jen.

Liesel K. Hill said...

Luv the analogy! So true! :D

musingsonfantasia.blogspot.com
lkhill.blogspot.com

Unknown said...

Now if only we really DID have our own 'caterpillar' to give us advice! It'd be so much easier if this journey was like a platformer game.

Angela said...

Or if we'll ever get there. I think I need a fortune telling caterpillar of my own.

Unknown said...

I loved this post so much, I got inspired to write my own and I linked yours in it: Still Levelling. I refer to Alice too, but also gaming because I really wish there was a strategy guide that told me what lies ahead!

Beth said...

I like this post. It's a good analogy.