Monday, June 4, 2012

Marketing Monday - Styles of Writing

Lately I’ve come across a bad case of writers block. With the adoption and settling into the house I’ve found that my mind is often distant from opening up that blank paper and writing a few thousand words. It’s not that I don’t want to… it’s just the fact that the only strength I have left is to climb into bed for a nice long eighteen day nap.

Well something changed while I was watching the HOUSE finale a few weeks back. The first hour was somewhat of a documentary showing all the important people in the background. It was there I thought about all the screenwriters putting their heads together to make this eight year show the success it was today.
Guess what? In that moment the writing mojo came back. I sat down at my computer screen and began typing out a small synopsis of my newest YA story. I then googled ‘screenplay examples’ and it was there I found a site that explained how to properly write a screenplay. Low and behold the reason I was having trouble writing my YA story was because it wasn’t meant to be a novel… it was meant to be told in a different perspective.

I’ve written short stories, full length novels, and now I’m adding screenplays to the list. Stephen Kings best advice was to always first write for one’s self. I’m taking his advice and not worrying about what people say but going with the feeling of success. It doesn’t mean this is going to be the next biggest blockbuster. However I will go on to say that it’s currently my biggest blockbuster.
Moral of all of this? Write for yourself. Try a new style of writing. Don’t be afraid to try poetry, a vignette, or a full length novel. Being afraid is what makes you never brave enough to reach for the stars.

You want those stars.

Where are you headed in your writing journey?

20 comments:

Lindsay N. Currie said...

This is a great post Jen because I completely identify with it. I would never have envisioned writing YA Horror, but it happened and I really enjoyed it. Write for yourself is a fantastic piece of advice:)

Jennifer Shirk said...

YES! So true.
I'm actually trying something different too--for myself--and loving it so far!

Gail said...

Thank goodness I do write for myself. It goes no where. I have never written anything over four pages. Very sad because I used to have dreams of a book.

S.A. Larsenッ said...

Gosh, I really love these epiphanies! I especially love hearing when other writers have them too. You go, girl!!

Me - I've got some interesting stuff brewing, right now. Kind of excited...

Unknown said...

From the sneak peek you continue to share with us, Lindsay, you were born for YA Thriller. One of my favorite genres!!!

That's so exciting Jennifer! I think when you've created a name for yourself people tend to give you a chance in any genre. I know I would for you!

Never give up, Gail. Four pages is four pages. One day it'll be five!

Creepy Query Girl said...

how cool! I haven't thought about attempting the 'screenplay' yet but I have thought about writing a television series- which isn't far off:) Glad you found your mojo!

Unknown said...

Sheri you always have something intriguing up that sleeve of yours! It's what keeps me around!!

Katie - I'm actually working on a comedic sitcom and it works just the same. Just different breaks. For research find a favorite movie of yours (or tv series) and google to find the screenplay to it! It's actually super easy! It's the mimicking and learning their techniques that begins to get a little tricky!

Stina said...

I have a lot of screenwriting books but I'm not tempted to write anything but novels. I'll leave the screenwriting to my son (who wants to make movies one day). :D

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

If you're writing a screenplay, be sure to read Save the Cat.
I'm on a roll with my third book right now!

Unknown said...

Stina - Feel free to share the titles! I'm always looking for new things to devour!

Thanks for the tip, Alex! Congrats on the third book. You're a total rockstar!

deathwriter said...

I started with screenwriting and it's probably my favorite form of telling a story. Good luck!

Sarah Allen said...

I absolutely loved loved loved the House finale!!! It was perfect :)

Good luck with the writing!

Sarah Allen
(my creative writing blog)

Meredith said...

Yay! How exciting! I took creative writing in high school, and we had to write screenplays one semester--mine was AWFUL. But you've got such a good ear for dialogue, I know yours is going to be great! Good luck!

Angela Brown said...

This makes me think of the advice where people say, "write only in your genre". Well, what if the story that comes to mind isn't in your normal genre? Heck, it's a story that's come to you to be shared. Take the reins and run with it.

Glad to read you doing the same. Go for it!

Liesel K. Hill said...

I write screenplays, too. Be prepared for TOTALLY different format. It can be very challenging, but fun as well. It's important to write for yourself and to have fun while you do it! Good luck! :D

lkhill.blogspot.com
musingsonfantasia.blogspot.com

Nancy Thompson said...

I'm just trying to find the time to write the outline for my second novel while getting ready for the release of my first. Unfortunately, the first is winning over the second, when all I really want to do is write!

Jennifer Hillier said...

I haven't written anything new in what feels like forever. I finished edits on the second book about two weeks ago and haven't had much energy for anything. I know my mojo will come back though. It was always does.

roxanne s. sukhan said...

I think you're right. I think fear stifles our creativity.

Unknown said...

deathwriter - That's good to hear! Gives me inspiration! I'm having a lot of fun writing them out!

Sarah - I'm sad to know the whole thing is over, but I loved it while it lasted. House was a wonderfully written character.

Meredith - Well I suppose you learned something... novels were your future path!

Angela - I think people get told that all too often. I agree it's nice to settle when you're getting serious but until you know what you want to be serious with, take your time and learn something!

Liesel - I'm already learning so much. What's nie is that it allows me to be in 'telling' format rather than 'showing'. It will be the actors job to show the emotion!

Nancy - I understand!!!! Writing is so much more fun then all the other stuff. It's what we crave, what we love, what we endure. It's hard to get into the zone of pushing our books on others so they'll read them over and over again!

Jennifer - What you write is gold. I just can't wait to see on your facebook that you've started something new. It'll be over the top exciting! You know how much I enjoy a good thriller!

Tink - Let us know take on that fear, then!

Jen said...

Jen this is so true! I have a story (or two) that want to be told in screenplay format. It's so different from novel writing and can seem intimidating but honestly, I tried my hand at it a few years ago, and it just flowed. It was nice to get away from the extraneous and tell the story from the actions and dialogue of the characters.

Good luck!
Jen C.