Saturday, March 13, 2010

Alice



I chose to see Alice in Wonderland last night. I'd been eyeing it on television for weeks knowing that this would be the one I saw in theaters. Now call me crazy but I am not a fan of 3D, I don't like the way it makes me feel, which is a little dizzy and tummy sick at times, so I avoid it. Not to mention the benefits of not having to spend anywhere from $13.50-15.50 just to have those silly 3D Glasses! Seriously, why so much?!

Description:
Is this really necessary? I think I can honestly say if you've never seen or read Alice in Wonderland then I must say that you need to pick up a copy because that is crazy! So I'm going to let you search for the description because you should be picking up a copy pronto!!! Childhood favorite of course!

My Thoughts:
Brilliant! I know I kind of gave it all away didn't I? However I couldn't help myself, last night after it was all over I could have turned right back around and saw it again, Tim Burton truly out did himself. Now I will say that if you are a huge fan of Tim Burton there is a slight chance you'll be disappointed. This movie isn't as dark as his others, however at times it is still very creepy. Johnny Depp plays the wonderful Mad Hatter, and it couldn't have been better played, but after all it is Johnny Depp! Mia Wasikowska who plays Alice was so elegant and beautiful you simply couldn't take your eyes of her. With the cutest accent she was perfect for the role. Her curiousity was one of my favorites and her clothes were tremendous! She wore the same shade of blue throughout the movie but in several different forms of outfits, each unique and adorable. She was by far my favorite character in the film, her carefree, nononsense atttitude made me not want to leave the theater to even pee!!! The Red Queen was fantastic, with her oversized head, and certianly oversized personality it was kind of hard to dislike her but I had to for poor Alice's sake. The White Queen annoyed me a little and that is surely my taste but her light and airy personality wasn't what bothered me, it was her constant hands in the air trying to flow gracefully as she traveled from scene to scene, and she wore the darkest lipstick, I know I'm nit-picking here, but I can't say all good things! I was thankful that the crowd thoroughly enjoyed the movie, they remained quiet and no cell phone usage happened. I must say if there was really no noise and no light shining in your eyes Tim Burton truly made a great film.

Rating:
9/10

24 comments:

Amanda said...

I actually really can't stand the book - just read it for the first time in December - but loved the movie. Thought it was brilliant to play off the book instead of copy it.

sarahjayne smythe said...

I can't wait to see it. Maybe today. :) I'm glad you liked it.

Crystal Cook said...

He, he. You're so funny! Didn't even want to get up to pee. Glad you liked it, I'm not a huge Tim Burton fan but this looks good, and I LOVE Alice in Wonderland, one of my favorite books :)

Unknown said...

I loved it as well!! Tim Burton is a MAD genius!! lol

Aubrie said...

I'm going to see it tonight! Eeee!

I loved your review.

Catherine Denton said...

Such a great movie. I was laughing at your "hands in the air" comment because it really bugged me too!

NabilaHazirah said...

I'm going too see itt soon. Everyone says it worth it :)

Kelly Marie said...

I loved it too! & am definitely going to see it again. Not only is Alice one of my favorite stories, but Johnny Depp & Tim Burton= <3

Arlee Bird said...

good review. I won't see this until it comes to DVD. I just don't do theatres anymore. I've enjoyed Tim Burton's past works, but I think I'll have to settle for ED WOOD as my favorite Burton movie-- good story and good acting with no special effects, one of the best movies about optimism ever made.
Lee

Carolyn V. said...

YES! Awesome - awesome review! Alice in Wonderland was one of my favorite reads as a pre-teen. I've been a little leery about the movie. I'm so glad to hear it is as good as I hoped it to be. Thanks Jen!

Tracy Loewer said...

Great review. I can't do 3-D - gives me motion sickness, but I can't wait to see it the "normal" version.

Anonymous said...

I've heard from some they would prefer an R rating and a bit darker side to the movie. But my kids are young so I'm glad it isn't dark. We'll go as a family this week.

Stephen Tremp

dan Andrea said...

Although I didn't get to see Tim Burton's master piece I've always loved the movie! You're right about paying so much for 3-D I'm so sensitive I'll end up getting dizzy! But glad to hear u liked it!

Unknown said...

My favorite book of all time... and I am not a huge Burton fan... so I am actually prepared to be a little disappointed... but hopeful (and full of ellipses!).

We were supposed to go see it tonight and had already purchased IMAX 3D tickets online but ended up having hurricane weather here in NJ - downed trees, flooded roads... we couldn't get to the thater. Bummer!!! With the kids and all, we only end up getting to the movies a few times a year so we were pumped lol. We'll try again!

Kimberly Franklin said...

I can't wait to see this movie!

Mary E Campbell said...

Thank you for this review - I was wondering about it. Tim Burton is hit or miss for me, but this sounds really good.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the review. I'm looking forward to seeing it but I still haven't seen Avatar, so that will be first. :o)

Guinevere said...

I think I'm going to see this next weekend -- thanks for the review, I was on the fence. :)

TerryLynnJohnson said...

thanks for great review. I've been avoiding it too, mostly in fear that it will suck. Sounds like I'm going to see it!

... Paige said...

Thanks so much for the visit and I'm so glad you enjoyed the movie. It's a fun one.


and you bet that's shovel full of Tomball, on the way to Silverado movie house for the Imax - 3D Wonderland.

Unknown said...

I found Alice in Wonderland (the story - I've not seen the new movie) creepy and I'm not a fan of Tim Burton's movies, either. So it's not on my list of movies to see. At least not at the theater where I have to pay an arm and a leg and be stuck for a couple hours if I don't like it. The pictures of Johnny Depp as the Mad Hatter freaks me out.

Moll said...

I get sick too!

Jen said...

I adored this movie! I never liked the old Disney version. It was too cutesy and I just didn't believe it. I know, it's fantasy but bear with me. However, and you must take this with a grain of salt as I am a huge Tim Burton fan and will see anything he's connected with, THIS adaptation was real. It was believable. I believed in the characters. They were tangible and (pardon the pun) three dimensional. I know a lot of people who didn't like it. It was hard to wrap around, especially if you'd never read Carroll's poem "Jaberwocky" which is what most of the new Alice's plot is based on. Honestly, I have a new favorite movie.

Great review,
Jen

Unknown said...

You're right the first film was quite cute, but I did see it when I was a child so I'd say that's a good thing! I agree with you though the adaptation of this film was real and I loved that! I knew Carroll's poem so I think that is why I understood it better than others. I'm glad you are on the Tim Burton bandwagon with me!