Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Letter to my Future Published Self

Today is Kristin Rae’s first blogfest! If you haven’t joined in the fun I suggest you put off whatever blog post you were going to write and dive in on the fun. Check the other entries out after you read mine!


Letters to your future published self.

I’ll admit, at first I thought what the heck am I going to write about then I decided to just run with it. So here we go… I will not apologize for what’s said (because I don’t know what I said).

Rock star,

So you did it! Congrats! Sending Book Two vibes!

It was quite the journey wasn’t it? Not easy by any means. In fact there was no way it could have been if you were dealing with me. My constant need to stop writing for a minute and finish a chapter of my latest FAVORITE book had to get under your nerves. Oh, not to mention spending WAY too much time on baby name websites because the main characters name was off just a little. You were right we should have stuck with Bob & Mary until the end. We would have saved time.

I’m not apologizing if that’s what you think. Everything happens for a reason. You’re agented, published, and a rock star now. It means I did the right thing. I think we might have gone through one to many cartons of Ben & Jerry’s but we were supporting our dreams and a cry fest without ice cream is just ludicrous.

Actually now rethinking all the crap we went through I think we should be apologizing to the hubs. He watched as each rejection rolled in and didn’t always roll of our shoulders. Some of them were some hard hits, and he sweetly allowed us to watch far too many episodes of Sex & the City. I thank him for that.

So it’s been fun. Who knew writing would be such a wild ride. I can’t believe we originally thought it’d be as easy as writing a book and sending it out. Joke was on us. How many did you end up writing before you got one published? Yeah… a lot. They weren’t kidding when they said to do your research. We were a little slow on the uptake weren’t we? Sending out crappy work to critique partners asking them to make sense of shit on paper and what was really sad is that they were sweet enough to do so. We were insanely lucky.

Geniuses. That’s what we are. You keep doing what you’re doing, obviously it worked.

Catch you at your next signing,

Me

26 comments:

Golden Eagle said...

LOL.

Sometimes I think it would be a lot easier if I just called my characters "X" or "Z" for the first draft, and then came up with names. Baby name websites do take up a lot of time . . .

Great blogfest post!

Unknown said...

I love this! Very funny and sooo true.

Can I just use your letter? :-)

Laura Pauling said...

Ha Ha! Spouses of writers need to form a support group!

Liz P said...

Great letter, rock star!

It'll be extra fun to go back and read this again when (note I say "when") you are published. :)

Gina Ciocca said...

LOL, I owe a debt to Ben & Jerry's too :)

Creepy Query Girl said...

How uplifting and funny! And we are so lucky to be surrounded with supportive people! We'll get there some day!

Misha Gerrick said...

Love this post! I have no idea what I'd write to pnublished me, but I think it might something like yours. Without the spouse, of course.

^_^

Angela said...

Great letter! I'm too afraid to write one of these, in case it never happens.

Stina said...

I love this. I wouldn't know what to write. Maybe I'll just plagarize yours instead (but add a line about neglecting my kids and their homework). :D

Jillian said...

woohooo!!! Rock Star indeed.... put this on your refrigerator love, I have a feeling you are going to be reading it back to yourself very very soon!

And I must say, your hubs is one rock star himself haha.

Nicole Zoltack said...

Awesome letter. One day you will be a rock star! :)

Kristin Rae said...

HAAAAAA you are a rock star girlfriend! Writing is quite the wild ride, and you've captured all your hard work here on your letter to look back on one day! :)

LOVE it! Thanks so much for joining in the fun!!

Inger said...

Great letter!--Inger

Lindsay N. Currie said...

Love it.

Emily White said...

This is so cute! You are already a rock star, though! :)

Donea Lee said...

Ah, Jen. What a great letter!! You already ARE a rockstar, btw! Loved it! :)

Kayeleen Hamblin said...

How fun! Your personality just shines through! Thanks for the laughs.

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Oh, I hope I hit the rock star phase next!!

Michael Di Gesu said...

Love the "Rock Star" header.

You've expressed all of our journeys.... We are all in the same boat.

Let's have good vibes for our future published selves...


Oh, My article for the Thestral Gazette will be coming out tomorrow instead of Friday. Don't forget to drop by Laurel's blog. It's too funny.

Tracy said...

Wait, this is what MY letter would look like!!

I didn't participate in the blogfest, but it is fun to think about what it'll be like when we can look back on the days when we started with such blissful ignorance . . . and cringe. Sort of like looking back on old high school yearbook pictures. :D

Unknown said...

You *are* a rock star. Go get 'em! :)

Laura said...

Brilliant - just be sure to mail it to yourself to arrive on the date of your first publication release!
Lx

Jennifer Shirk said...

Ha! Mary and Bob. Yes, naming our characters can be agonizing. LOL
Fun letter!

A.L. Sonnichsen said...

Love it! We've both come a long way since the beginning! I was in the same boat -- thinking all it took was to write the book and send it out. Wiser now.

Amy

Jennifer Hillier said...

Only a rock star could have written this. LOVE!

Meredith said...

Yes! It will all pay off in the end. Even those hard-hitting rejections.