Monday, May 16, 2011

Writing's on the wall

Here is Monday’s writing on the walls. I take a whiteboard and hang it in a different part of the apartment to give myself a new set of ideas. This is the Bubble Bath Diaries I just started working on… hope you enjoy!

The Bubble Bath Diaries
By Jennifer Daiker


Time: 8 a.m.
Task: Bubble bath torture aka overflowing the bathtub
Status: Captured

 I watch the subject enter the double doors. Still unaware of what they’re about to walk into. I can feel the giggling climbing up my stomach and I am forced to drop my notepad and cover my mouth before they erupt. This is the one thing I can’t control… yet. Once the giggles have subsided I quietly sneak into subject’s room, carefully twisting the knob as practiced to not make noise and hear the subject humming – not well – but that distracts her from the creak of my mistakes. I had practiced this for days and of course I step on the creaky floorboard. Thank god my cover wasn’t blown.

“What the he-, “she squeals, “ANNIE!”

Before the subject has time to attack I’ve implemented the escape.

“MOM!”

Moments later my mom stands in front of us completely frazzled.

“Annabelle we’ve had this talk before, no more shenanigans. Mommy can’t handle all the trouble right now,” she says pointing a finger in my direction.

My sister stomps her feet before the whining begins, “She’s always ruining things,” she says.

“No she isn’t, that was just mean Alex,” my mom said.

I stand in the hallway as they both start arguing with one another, mom’s winning. Alexandra hates nothing more than being called Alex and my mom is the only one who gets away with it, sort of. I’m not sure I would want to be named after a boy either. My mother insists Alexandria is a family name but I think if that’s the case we should call her Alexandria not Alex.

This is the whole reason I was playing a prank in the first place. This house is boring during the summertime. How else am I supposed to occupy my time? I told my mom if we didn’t get a pool it would make me even more bored. She didn’t listen. Overflowing bath bubbles isn’t the worst thing in the world. My sister did need to bathe anyway; I was just giving her more of the smelly stuff she always wears. Next time I’ll just be farther away from the action.

What have you been working on?! Do you have different methods you use while writing out an idea?

28 comments:

Jess said...

A book with pranks??? Too funny!

S.A. Larsenッ said...

I just heart you. Love this!! (I really do this, too. Different scenery helps, sometimes.) And, you already know what I'm STILL working on. :) Have been ill, so the rewrite has slowed down. Hoping to catch up, today. Wish me luck. You, too!

Unknown said...

Really funny excerpt and it's so like children to play funny pranks on their siblings.

Laura Pauling said...

Very cute. I love the pranks. :)

Diana Mieczan said...

That is so cute and I love that you use a whiteboard. Something I need to look into. Thanks, sweetie
Happy Monday

P.S: I'm hosting an amazing Fischer's dress Giveaway Reloaded later today! Don't miss it!

Creepy Query Girl said...

Really cute- I loved the voice! No real methods my way besides brainstorming and outlining before a piece!

Christina Lee said...

You have the cutest ideas!!!!

Anne Gallagher said...

Great concept. Great voice. But if I may -- nob is spelled knob. As in door. Sorry, my spelling brain is on, it's Monday.

Anonymous said...

I've been deep in edits so I haven't been able to work on anything new yet, but that doesn't shut the brain off, does it? LOL.

I keep a file on the computer with ideas, a notebook with me, and my iPhone "notes" section. Sometimes I'll email myself an idea if I'm out and about.

When I get time to sit and "brainstorm" it through, I'll do a mind map. Going on long bike rides helps me too.

:)

Theresa Milstein said...

Ha! This brings me back to when my sister and I played pranks on one another.

I recently finished a manuscript and put down seeds of another. Before I can work on this new one, I must edit the finished piece!

Talei said...

Love the sound of Bubble Bath Diaries! Reminds me of pranks as a kid too. ;-)

I'm in editing mode and also have a few critiques out, which I've been lucky enough to win via contests and fundraising.

Lindsay N. Currie said...

Fun Jen! Great idea and this was fun to read (totally made me wish I had a sister LOL)

Jillian said...

hehe too funny! love it

Stephanie said...

I love your title! I think you've got something here!

Colene Murphy said...

HA! What an awesome idea!! Sounds amazing, as usual!!

Donea Lee said...

I have an Alexandra/Alex and she thinks she has a boy's name, too. I love it... (obviously) :)

What a fun story idea! Love the pranks!

kah said...

Very cute! But now I wanna take a bubble bath. :)

I'm working on a new adult project. But this week I'm taking a break and reading a friend's MS and then a few books on my TBR list.

Unknown said...

What a fun idea. I love it. Thanks for sharing!

Jolene Perry said...

Next time I need to be further away from the action - spoken like a true mischief-maker.

I'm working on a co-author project that's been so fun that it's kind of stuffed everything else into the background.

Talli Roland said...

Love this! More great Jen-ness. Happy Monday, lovely lady!

Amy Saia said...

This is really fun, Jen! Great voice captured here. And I love the whiteboard idea. That's something I consider doing to keep things organized.

Sara {Rhapsody and Chaos} said...

LOL :)

I'm working on my YA... I'm in the murky middle which is always me least fave part to write. BUT I'm pushing through!

I usually let ideas simmer for a few months before getting to work on them. And I usually have a brainstorming day with one of my CPs to bring the idea down from a concept into something more concrete.

Happy Monday, Jen <3

Jennifer Hillier said...

You're so creative! This was a fun read.

The Words Crafter said...

Ah, parents rarely appreciate the subtly of pranks. Nor the hard work that goes into them. Pretty cool excerpt!

Joanne said...

Such a sister thing going on, and yet there's lots of love in those words, too :)

Jemi Fraser said...

So much fun!

I'm working on the rewrite that would never end!

Michelle in a shell said...

Haha! So adorable! Love the snippet :)

Samantha Vérant said...

Would love to be in an overflowing bubble bath right now! FUN!