Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Adoption Update

I know all of you are increasingly curious about my road to adoption and I'm thrilled to give you an update!

Since moving into our new home a little under two weeks we've filled out the paperwork to officially get started!

THANK YOU to all who support me both financially and emotionally. I cannot thank you enough. The support of all of you has been absolutely amazing. I wish I could show you just how much I appreciate you. This post will have to do.

My husband and I have created an 'opportunity book'. It's a book that we will share with a potential birth mother. They'll read about our lives, what makes us tick, and why we think we'd be a perfect match for their little one.

This allows them to not only connect with us, but to give them the opportunity to start the first relationship they'll have with the potential adoptive parents.

It's both terrifying and exhiliarating.

As a writer you think I'd be used to rejection but this a whole different ball game. All my husband and I want is a little bundle of joy. We've grown to love the idea of adoption. Allowing the child a possiblity of several kinds of love. Just the thought warms my heart. But there is that fear. A birth mother doesn't feel a connection with us, the adoption agency has trouble placing us with the perfect little one. Any of those.

It's tough to get out of your head. It's the one place you can never truly put aside. That being said I'm blessed to be a part of such an amazing community (all of you), and a loving husband.

I'll keep you informed as the path towards adoption continues but for now stop by Trashionista where I make my debut for When Love Aligns.

26 comments:

Diana Mieczan said...

I am so excited for you two!!! Keep us updated and have a wonderful day, sweetie.

Karen Baldwin said...

Wow, so many new emotions. I wish you and your husband the best. Keep us posted.

Natalie Aguirre said...

I can totally relate. The uncertainty is hard to deal with. But it's so exciting you're moving forward. Definitely keep us updated. So excited for you.

Anonymous said...

Thank you for updating us. I hope and trust you and your husband will be matched with just the right one - that one child you will be best for, and who will be best for you. Jumping into anything unknown is always scary, but keeping at it even through the fear is what makes us brave. Doing it for another person, especially one you've never met and can't even imagine? That is LOVE in capital letters.

Gina Ciocca said...

Best of luck to you! My husband and I have been trying to have a baby for years, but unfortunately my 2 pregnancies both ended in miscarriage. It's great that you're sharing your adoption experience, especially since there are others who may need the insight for similar endeavors.

Keep us posted on your journey and good luck again!

Ellen Brickley said...

Thanks for the update Jen, I hope things go well for you guys :D I'm sure you'll be excellent parents and that you'll find the right soul.

Connie Keller said...

Thanks for the update. I hope everything goes smoothly, and you soon have a bundle of joy!! We had several friends who went through the same process, and I remember reading their "opportunity books." They were a joy. I hope you get to keep a copy to show your child when he or she gets older.

Nicole Zoltack said...

Thanks for the update and I wish you the best of luck!

Sarah Allen said...

As someone who can't have kids, watching your story unfold is very exciting and consoling for me. It is a beautiful thing :)

Sarah Allen
(my creative writing blog)

Johanna Garth said...

Sounds like you are moving along. The process of bringing a child into your life is totally different than any other experience!

Lindsay N. Currie said...

Thinking of you Jen and sending the most positive vibes possible.

Carrie Butler said...

Thanks for keeping us updated, Jen! I've been praying about it. :)

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

No fear, Jen. God will place just the right child in your lives.

S.P. Bowers said...

I'm so excited for you! There is such joy in adoption but yes there is fear and pain too. We've adopted two (well, the second one is getting finalized in 6 days!) and I'm sorry to say some of your fears will come to pass. Worse yet there are failed adoptions where you think it is settled and are ready for the baby but the biological mother decides that adoption isn't the best choice. It's painful and miserable, but you will survive. THE RIGHT CHILD FOR YOU WILL FIND YOU. I know that because of our experiences, both bad and good.

Good luck, we'll be praying for you!

Kimberlee Turley said...

Wishing you all the best~

Kelly Polark said...

That is so exciting! Good luck to you and your husband!

Kelly Polark said...

That is so exciting! Good luck to you and your husband!

Beth said...

Congratulations on getting started and good luck.

Bish Denham said...

One step closer, Jen. Sending good vibes your way.

Laura Pauling said...

How exciting for you! Enjoy every step and the anticipation. I pray it happens fast!

Shannon O'Donnell said...

Oh, Jen, I missed this announcement somehow! I knew you had moved, but the adoption is new to me. CONGRATULATIONS and GOOD LUCK!!!!!!!!! I'm so happy and excited for you. :)

Sarah Tokeley said...

Keeping good thoughts for you in my heart x

A.L. Sonnichsen said...

You're moving along! So excited for you. I'll be praying for the perfect match. ;)

Maurice Mitchell said...

What a wonderful idea of a "opportunity book." I know you guys will make great parents because you obviously have a lot of love.
- Maurice Mitchell
The Geek Twins | Film Sketchr
@thegeektwins | @mauricem1972

Anonymous said...

Sending lots of good thoughts and wishes your way. I hope everything goes smoothly with the adoption process.

Susanne
PUTTING WORDS DOWN ON PAPER

Amy Saia said...

That's beautiful Jen. Wishing you the best every step through this process!