Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Finding Time


When people hear I read and write in my free time their response is usually “I wish I had that kind of time.”

I used to get frustrated. I didn’t want people thinking that I didn’t have a life, that I too wasn’t enjoying the sunshine or what my city had to offer. I made time for everything. Granted, writing did take time out of my social life, but it was worth the cause. After all, when you become a writer there really is never a vacation. Your brain is always bouncing ideas around.
So how do we find time?

I listen to my fellow bloggers all the time. Those who have big families, small families, or no families, we’re all the same, we all make time.
We might steal a long bath time. Burn the casserole because we read a few extra pages, or sat through an extra-long drive-thru (thank you Chick-fil-A) just to garner a second more of an amazing book.

We can’t wait for those moments when are little bundles of joy are in a deep sleep, the hubby is passed out, and it’s just your cat purring and the hum of the laptop as you get a few extra words in.
The love of reading and writing is in our blood. Is that what makes us designate the time to spin a tale or dive into another world for just a few minutes? Are we able to better separate ourselves from reality and enjoy the true meaning of life thru imagination?

What do you think when people tell you they don’t have the time? Do you wish you could show them there are more hours in a day then they realize if they just stopped for a moment and took notice?

14 comments:

Diana Mieczan said...

That is such a great topic and for me it's also all about those extra few minutes here and there. They make such a difference:) Have a wonderful day, sweetie. How is your week so far?

Natalie Aguirre said...

Oh yes, definitely. Because I work full-time, take care of my house & family, blog, and squeeze in time to write and read. You just have to be efficient with your time and it all gets done.

Anna Banks said...

I have to stick to a schedule. If I don't, all the things don't get did. (BTW, reading your addictive blog today is NOT on the schedule, so I'm mad at you now). :)

The truth is, you have to buy out the time. Want a half hour in the evening to write? Well, what shall you give up for it? I think the one thing I sacrifice most often is sleep. I'd like to sacrifice unimportant things, like laundry and dishes, but so far, it hasn't worked out that way. :)

Happy Hump Day!

Li said...

I do a lot of multi-tasking; blogging while watching TV or doing laundry, carrying a book in the car at all times in case I have to wait for a meeting or appointment, etc. Sometimes you just have to prioritize and let a few things go for a bit. It's all about balance. (Although I do get overwhelmed at times, like anyone else.)

K said...

Good question! I do think if someone really wants to write or read, they will find the time. As people have said, it's all about being organized.

Christine Murray said...

I agree. It's so easy not to make time, but if you want something bad enough that's what you have to do.

Unknown said...

I get frustrated by that comment too because I don't have extra time, I have to make time. I have other obligations that I have to accomplish before my writing but I plan my time well so that I don't forsake my writing. Great post. Sometimes, only writers understand.

S.P. Bowers said...

We all make time for what we love. If we love writing then we do it. Some people make time for basketball with friends, or lunch with their pals, or the tv show they like to watch. It's not about having time, it's just about doing it. The things you like the most get pushed to the top. When people comment about time I tell them if they truly wanted something they would find the time. If it's absolutely not possible now they would be planning how to make it possible. I also like to give them a list of the things I don't do anymore. It puts it in perspective. Usually they want to have the time without giving anything up.

In Which We Start Anew said...

We make time for the things that are important to us. If they really wanted to read and write, they'd make time, too.

You have the same time as everyone else does... we all choose different wants to spend it.

Jo
In Which We Start Anew

Shannon O'Donnell said...

*sigh* Sadly, I haven't mastered the art of time juggling yet. I still have to let something go in order to squeeze something in. But I'm getting better. :)

Charlotte Brentwood said...

It's all a question of priorities, isn't it? It comes down to what drives us, what gives us the most inspiration, and what we crave more than anything. Those that don't have a burning fire to write don't make time for it. They prioritise other things, even if they don't consciously realise it. It's the same with money - people don't realise they are frittering it away and don't understand how penny-pinchers like me are able to save up for major things.

It all comes down to your priorities - how badly do you want it?

Elana Johnson said...

This is one of the things that boggles me the most. I strongly dislike it when people tell me they wish they had time to do what I do. I always say, "You make time for what you care about. So you care about other things than me, but we have the same amount of time."

I'm sort of rude, you see...

Sharon K. Mayhew said...

What Elana said....

It's a choice on how you use your time. It's just like money. I know people that are always broke, but have money for (ahem) certain things... Priorities!

Sarah Tokeley said...

When people say that I just point out that they can get up a little earlier, or watch a little less TV. :-)