Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Wednesday Wordies

One of my favorite posts to drum up some bloggy business is sharing books that I've come across. Those one-liners, first sentences, and cover art just seems to pull people in. After all, you're just as interested in a new story as a new writing concept. We love to hear the wonderful ideas authors around the world come up with. Since I stopped posting on Tuesdays (my favorite post, next to Thursday, of the week) I've decided to move things around so my Tuesday Twist still exists.

Wednesday Wordies is where you can stop on in and read the first three sentences of an authors work and decide if that alone captures you. Some you'll be left curious and intrigued, others you'll simply want to set to the side. All could be delicious to devour but just like judging covers, we often judge the first sentence.

So... what are your thoughts? Would you read the three books below based on their first sentences? PS - This weeks are all YA novels.

1. Hangovers are a bitch.
2. Maybe getting drunk and dressing up like a pirate was a bad idea.
3. I am thinking of an apple when the streetcar hits and my leg severs and my ribs crumble and my arm is no longer an arm but something unrecognizable, wet and red.

Click the one-liners to find out what goodies you should adding to your TBR list.

I'll tell you right now that #3 has been one that captivated me from the get go.
Happy Reading!!!

5 comments:

Amy Saia said...

I really love no. 3. Very creative!

Nancy Thompson said...

I hope someday someone says my first line was captivating.

Anonymous said...

Hi Jen! My first choice would be #3. Then I'd pick #2 and then #1.

A.L. Sonnichsen said...

Oh wow - I'm reading a Katherine Applegate novel right now. THE ONE AND ONLY IVAN. I'm supposedly reading it to my son, but I keep sneaking and reading ahead. :)

Jolene Perry said...

Two.
Easy.

I love that you do this, AND it just stresses the importance of a killer first line...