Monday, April 30, 2012

Marketing Monday - Pinterest Inspired

When I first started writing I would share some of my work on the blog. I'd have Tuesday teasers and from there would feel out what others thought about my writing.

Was it exciting?

Did they like the characters?

Overall it was a fabulous experience until I became superstitious.

I still wanted to keep my readers interested. Keep my writing fresh and new and letting bloggers know my new ideas.

How could I do that without sharing words?

Well there is this fabulous world online that has several other options and I found the perfect one.

Pinterest.

Just recently I started a new board. It was super simple, I titled Recreation Story. Not only was this a way for me to get some visuals for my story but it also allowed those who keep up to date to avidly watch and read about what I was working on.

I have over 38 pins and several people already lined up to beta read by the time it's needed. Not only have I began marketing a story that's not even completely written, but I've gotten people truly excited about it.

So, how does one get started?

1. Log on to Pinterest.
2. Create a new board. Use your title, if it's Unknown label it as such.
3. Start Pinning.

You're excited about the new story let others be too! This is such a fresh new way to capture new readers just based on visuals. After all the world has become more and more attentive in the online world. We need to make sure as writers that we're keeping up with the times!

Here's a few pics to share about my story! Feel free to stop by my Recreation Story board for more goodies!


This is the promise ring Hutch gives her providing she stays smart when she finds herself around liars in the Society.


Attire: When first entering Society she wore this Lacey piece to represent who and where she was from. White to explain purity, lace to explain wealth, and the length of the gown to show she has yet to be recreated (easily show lack of shimmer).


Inside Society walls. Where Birdy will live for at least Book one.

When are you going to start your next board? Have you already hopped on the story pic train? Send link! I'd love to see!

22 comments:

Talei said...

A wonderful use of Pinterest! I've managed to stay off at the moment as I'm still addicted to bumblr and all the other social networks are keeping me busy. Happy Monday! xo

Talei said...

Haha. That should be Tumblr... not bumblr... I'll just bumble off now.. :D x

JE said...

That's a super cool way to use Pintrest! I've had an account since last summer and haven't used it since then. LoL. Now I have a reason to!

~JD

Natalie Aguirre said...

Loved your pins. I haven't gotten onto Pinterest yet. I worry about spending more time on the Internet. But maybe I'll have to try it.

roxanne s. sukhan said...

What a great idea!

Anonymous said...

Hi Jen! Your storyboard at Pinterest is really nice. I don't have an account. Right now I have no plans on setting one up.

Susanne
PUTTING WORDS DOWN ON PAPER

Stina said...

I haven't gotten into Pinterest. I've checked a few by authors, but I'm not interested in doing it or following any yet. Not enough time.

Creepy Query Girl said...

wow, great pics and they do intrigue! I haven't gotten on pinterest yet. But soon. very soon:)

Sarah Allen said...

Total pinterest addict. This is a great idea!

Sarah Allen
(my creative writing blog)

Johanna Garth said...

I really need to get back to pinterest. I started pinning things for my planned breakfast room redecoration but I like your use better.

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

If I take on one more social network I might explode.

Shannon O'Donnell said...

VERY cool idea, Jen!!! :)

Amy Saia said...

What a great idea to mix in pictures in with the story. Very creative!

Clare C. Greenstreet said...

Will have to see if I can get myself a Pinterest. Seems like a good idea to market my Transom Hull blog as well as the book I want to start querying soon.

Laura said...

brilliant idea - I'm going to start one to gather ideas for my BuNoWriMo novel - you're a genius!!!
Lx

Donna Shields said...

I keep hearing about Pinterest. Thanks for the idea. I'm going to do this.

Talli Roland said...

Those are gorgeous pictures, lovely Jen!:) I love Pinterest. I must seek you out there, if we aren't already following each other.

Jillian said...

what in interesting concept! I might have to give this a try... if I can lol

Carolyn V said...

I never thought about putting my story ideas in Pinterest! What a great idea!

Clara said...

First of all, gorgeous pictures lady! Second, how cool is that? Will definitely try it out! : D
Thanks for sharing!

Elana Johnson said...

I like this idea for how to use Pinterest. I seriously don't know what to do there, but I felt bad I wasn't there... Ha ha!

Melodie Wright said...

What a great idea! I'm not on Pinterest - no time right now - but maybe this summer. Those photos are gorgeous and so specific to your story...did it take you a long time to find them all?