Saturday, January 30, 2010

crazy little dream

We watched Paranormal Activity, I was frightened half way through so we turned it off, only to be encountered with a terrifying dream in replace of it. Nothing whatsoever to do with the paranormal... Here it is... I thought it could quite possibly make a good story.

Her house was quaint, she walked into the living room as she gave the grand tour. Pictures hung on the wall of various places she had visited and what I could only believe to be her family photos. Her name was Casey, she kind and polite. She had invited me over to see her little one, only a year old. I didn't hesitate, her kindness was endearing and it seemed she was just as desperate for friendly conversation just like myself. She led me down the hallway, we passed two doors before we reached her little girls room. She sat in her playpen laughing as her mother went to pick her up, she quickly handed her off to me and I looked at her, she was so sweet, so innocent, and looked identical to her mother, blond hair and beautiful blue eyes.

Casey insisted I stay for dinner, though I didn't want to impose, she continued to insist until I said yes. Her husband joined us, very peculiar man, he made me a little uneasy, but I paid no mind as we all got settled at the table. Casey went to the lay the baby down before we ate and thats when it all happened. Her husband grabbed me, said nothing, just grabbed my arm and pulled me out the backdoor, I tried to hold onto something tight, scream for help but no one listened, I couldn't see Casey, no baby, nothing. He pulled me close to him and covered my mouth told me not to scream, tears trickled down my face, I was terrified, my heart felt as if it would beat out of my chest. He shoved me in the trunk, I could tell he had done this before, he knew exactly where to place his car, there were also several markings on the inside of the trunk that I could only assume were scratches. I whimpered and banged as loud as I could in hopes someone would notice, but it seemed like a quiet night, no cars, no world, nothing to hear me cry out.

The car stopped. I heard nothing, trapped in silence I once again tried everything to open the trunk, to escape, to be ready to run. Nothing would move. I heard footsteps, my heart began to pound harder.

I will need to fill in the blanks... but here is the second half I remember...

I am tired and weak, my eyes burn from the tears, and my stomach hurts from the injuries, he kicks me to keep me moving, the path is long, trees hang low and the wind and noises around further torture my mind. As we walk along the beaten path he is joined by something he calls 'meat' a huge creature that I can only describe as an oversized aligator. I look around for an escape route and then I notice, pictures hung on the trees, actually paintings, of women and children, each individual as there own tree... that's when I realize... it's where they have been buried. I want to cry but try to hold back in fear of him noticing. He pushes me further until we reach a tree, a chair has been hung and he demands I sit down, when I don't he forces me, grabbing my already badly beaten stomach, I oblige and scream that I am sorry, to not hurt me. He doesn't care, no words will make him change his mind. Once he has me seated he puts a long widened band around my ankles, it cuts into my skin, but I know this will be the least of my worries as I see him walk over to a log with supplies, he smiles, tells me this will be fun. Fun for him I am sure, but not for me. He places a silver piece in my mouth, and points to the box on the log. He tells me if I let go or move it out of my mouth it will blow my brains, he cackles, but I am not cackling, my hands are weak, and my mouth is tired but I must keep it in.

There is more but I think I have already written enough... enjoy!

14 comments:

Rosaria Williams said...

You grabbed us. We are there with you. Slow down now. Each moment, each detail...

Summer Frey said...

(Too much Criminal Minds? Happens to me all the time, hehe...) Scary!

Unknown said...

lakeviewer - absolutely! I wanted to give you as many details as I could for the moment, but now I can break away and really start to dive for details!

Summer - sometimes one would think!!! Can't stop thought! Love it too much! Though I would prefer to not take part!

Arlee Bird said...

oh good, you're working in my favorite territory of dreamlife. That's a pretty scary one -- kind of in "Saw" or "Hellraiser" horror movie style -- and there's certainly a market for that. My dreams are rarely that terrifying, but when I do have scary dreams, that when I like to take control of them. I will make myself wake up, ponder the dream for a while, consider some resolutions, then go back to sleep to finish the dream off where I'm in control and I complete the dream to my satisfaction. Or I just use the idea later to create a scary story like you have started. Great job Jen.

Lee

Unknown said...

Hi Jen! Thanks so much for visiting my blog. :) I have always written but am just getting started on this crazy journey toward actually trying to go somewhere with it. It's a little overwhelming but more exciting than anything. So glad you led me back here to your blog - I appreciate meeting others who are along on this crazy journey! Would love to keep reading (when I am done with report cards, that is!).

Lindsey :)

Carolyn V. said...

Thanks Jen, now I'm really freaked out! What's going to happen? We need more.

Kimberly Job said...

Wow! You've definitely caught our attention. Sounds like it could make a good story.

Alissa Grosso said...

Glad my dreams last night were nowhere near that scary, I think you've got some great material here. I don't think there's much I can do with my dream of having a tick stuck in my hair and the usual unprepared for work dream.

Amy Holder said...

Wow - that is terrifying! It's a great plot starting point though. I could picture you opening the first page with the terrified main character locked in the trunk... and then showing her having flashbacks about how she got there.

Do you think Casey was in on it all along? Did she know what her husband was going to do to you? Maybe they're a maniacal couple... she reels them in and he finishes them off. I'm intrigued! Keep writing! :)

Suzette Saxton said...

Good for you for turning off the movie. The Ring still haunts me!

And wow, what a dream.

Skinnie Minnie said...

Wow that is a very vivid dream. Makes me not want to watch that movie now.

Faith Pray said...

That is one amazingly vivid dream. You could turn it into a thrilling horror sequence in your own work if you aren't too freaked out by the whole waking-up-in-a-cold-sweat thing.
If you're not okay with using terrifying dreams to influence your writing, I might watch some mellower film choices for awhile, like "Miss Marple" or "Lady and the Tramp"... Sweet dreams!

Jon Paul said...

"...no cars, no world, nothing to hear me cry out..."

A really nice fragment, and some great images on the page. I certainly want to find out what happens next.

Unknown said...

Thanks everyone! Yes the dream was quite vivid, and I have continued with the story since. I do believe I have a good story here, and I appreciate all the ideas they are great!! Stay tuned and I'll share more of the details soon!