Friday, January 22, 2010

writings on the wall

Last night I had chinese food with my husband, and we were lucky enough to get three fortune cookies! Yes I consider this lucky, and of course my hsuband knows how much I love them so he gave me the extra... and I thought these fortunes were cool, and they gave me the inspiration for the writings on the wall... that I will explain momentarily.

1. Ideas you believe are absurd ultimately lead to success!!
2. Be curious always! For knowledge will not acquire you: you must acquire it.

So between these two fortunes (which I was inspired by) and some of the blogs I read this morning I have decided to start - writings on the wall - now for those of you who don't know what I am talking about let me explain, which unless your inside my head no one knows what I am about to do. Now this may seem crazy, but I am going to literally write on the wall.

This weekend I am going to set up a blackboard/chalkboard or just a big sheet of paper and I'm going to write. Yes it is absurd, and yet don't you think it's kind of brilliant? I always write on a pad of paper, or on my laptop... of course I have changed locations, from libraries to coffee shops, but I want something different... something out there... would it make a difference if I wrote on the blackboard? If I wrote in a different part of the house, while standing up, will any of it make a difference? I will let you know how it goes! If it is a success I plan on making Mondays writings on the wall a weekly thing... so wish me good luck, and if you find yourself wanting to try it, let me know your findings!

Happy blogging :)

13 comments:

Kimberly Franklin said...

Good luck! I'm very interested to hear the outcome. : )

Happy Friday!

Unknown said...

Hi! I have a giant white board! (The benefits of being 50 years old and having customers who couldn't pay in cash and had to give us office supplies before being liquidated.)

It absolutely helps!! Change of venue (right now I'm snuggled into the corner of the living room sofa instead of sitting in my office.

You go girl!

Denise Burks
www.successinthesuburbs.blogspot.com

Kristin Rae said...

Welcome to the blogging world! I've only been at it just over a month and I've already met so many great people. Everyone is so encouraging!

Good luck writing in different spots! I am mostly a notebook/computer/occasional napkin writer. lol. Might not hurt to throw something else in the mix!

Elana Johnson said...

Luck! I like writing by hand and on the computer.

Unknown said...

This is a great idea! I've journaled my whole life, but once I began writing (and by that I mean writing for an audience) I only wrote typing into a computer. A few months ago I read Natalie Goldberg's Writing Down the Bones. In it she talks about how differently your brain works when you write with a pen and when you type. I was intrigued and tried it out. It's true! The sort of ideas that come to me with pen in hand are somehow different. Now I always carry a plain, college ruled notebook with me.

Have fun with your experiment, and I look forward to hearing how it comes out!

Unknown said...

Kimberly - Thanks! I'm very excited!

Denise - I'm jealous! I won't be working off of a giant whiteboard, it will be small for the beginning but none the less the project will still be useful!

Kristin - They truly are encouraging I've only been on this two days and already you guys are all so sweet!!

Elana - I do as well! But new ways just make it a little more exciting... just adding a little spice I suppose!

Nicole - I might have to look into that book! And you're right, different thoughts when writing in different forms... the mind is a curious and magical thing!

Eileen Astels Watson said...

I have a huge white board in my office where I sometimes brainstorm. Lots of fun to rub off and reword, mark up like crazy. May your writing on the wall be an inspiration for you!

Anonymous said...

That sounds interesting. Let us know how it goes!!!
-Alisa Hope
First Friday Fiction

Unknown said...

Eileen - I think brainstorming on a whiteboard could prove very useful!! I'll have to work up to that, but for now I small chalkboard will suffice! Thank you!

Thank you Faith Imagined

Michelle Gregory said...

love the first quote... er... fortune... whatever. (mind if i post it on my blog?? i think it would be a great blog post topic.)
i need to remember that success often comes when we least expect it.

i don't think i'll be writing on a chalkboard or a wall. i did that as a 2nd grade teacher and it made my arm tired.

thanks for visiting my blog. i'm looking forward to reading more here as well.

Unknown said...

Yes you can certainly use the fortune! Wasn't it great!?

I do forsee the arm being tired, but I am still going to test it out, and since I won't have to use it everyday for teaching it shouldn't be too painful! :)

Anonymous said...

This is a very unique idea. You should post a photo of you doing it.

Unknown said...

Pictures will be taken!