Tuesday, January 26, 2010

imagine you're a shark...

So today I thought about trying something a little different, a writing exercise if you will. Normally I start the day with several thoughts in mind, but I think I am experiencing the beginning of the week block so I thought that instead of not blogging, I would do an exercise to help give a little inspiration, and use my imagination!

Start with Imagine your a shark, create a story line, any of your choosing:

Imagine you're a shark, confused by what she had just read, Eloise tried again Imagine you're a shark, close your eyes and feel yourself imersed in water, swimming through the ocean, she closed the book, her mind had made up crazy things before, but she was afraid this was truly a first. Her first day at such a different school had really been difficult, she remembered visiting with her parents the week before, they had been told the school was for gifted children, but she was unaware they were going to have to broaden their minds to imagining herself as a shark. She had realized the school was more for the gifted in powers, more than gifted in arts, she wasn't sure this was the place for her, but they had accepted her so she knew she needed to stick it out, ands he was never one to back down from a challenge. She looked around the common room and saw several students, reading, studying, and just chatting with friends, she felt a bit jealous at all the friendships that had already been formed, she had arrived to the school late so hadn't had a chance to get acquainted with everyone. She told herself to stop worrying, the time would come for lunch and there she would have time to meet people.

End

I went with the first thing that came to my mind, and I promised myself I wouldn't change it to make it better, the whole point of the writing exercises is to get your mind to think differently, try things outside the box... so I did, and I most certainly wrote about something I normally wouldn't!

9 comments:

Rachel said...

Thanks for the post, Jen. It inspired a post of my own...it's funny how ridiculous writing exercises may seem, but how much you miss them once you are no longer required to do them in class.

Elana Johnson said...

I need to do more free-writing exercises. I know I'll go back and edit them, though. It's like a sickness.

Great job!

Unknown said...

Thanks Rachel, I am really happy that I could inspire you!!!

Elana, its funny you say that, the whole time I was writing I wanted to erase it and start over, but I stood my ground and wrote it even though I didn't really dig what I had! Part of learning I suppose!

Ann Elle Altman said...

Question: do you mean "you're a shark" or "your a shark" sorry, the editor in me...

Anyway, brilliant post. This is a great way to start the creative juices flowing.

ann

Unknown said...

I do mean you're a shark and will be changing it! Ahh I hate when I don't pay attention to something like that, I suppose I was more focused on the writing than I was the spelling, but thank you!

LizPage said...

This is an awesome free writing bit!
And isn't Hoarders ironically addicting?
I'm going to imagine I'm a shark next time I'm somewhere I don't want to be.

Shannon O'Donnell said...

What a great idea! I know I should free-write more often. :)

bclement412 said...

I need to free write, haven't in sooo long though. I might go and try this during school tomorrow! Thanks for the idea :)

Unknown said...

LizPage - it really is! I find that even more funny! And I think that is an excellent idea, next time life wont seem so bad when you imagine yourself as a shark.

Shannon & bclement412 - I'm glad you enjoyed it! I never realized how much fun you could have doing free writing, I know I don't have to be perfect, I just need to write what I feel!