Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Contests for Causes

So we all know about the tragedy that hit Japan and I've seen all the wonderful people around the blog offering their assistance, sharing their thoughts, donations, gifts. The works. It's been amazing and I've decided to do my part by helping out a few bloggers that have done something particularly amazing.

Write Hope was created by several wonderful and very talented girls who wanted to help those in Japan. They each possess a love for Japan.

Their main objective is to help those in Japan and I think this blog post will draw some more attention to what's happening in the world.

So let's get to the point so you can stop reading this and hop over and follow their blog.

Just to entice you further here are some of the amazing things up for grabs.
  • 30 min. Skype chat with the fab Meredith Barnes of FinePrint Literary Management.
  • 50 page critique followed by a 20 min. phone call for questions regarding critique by Kathleen Ortiz of Lowenstein Associates, Inc. (must be in the genre she's looking for, look here for more info).
  • Critique of full manuscript (YA or Fantasy) up to 100K words by author Jodi Meadows.
  • First chapter critique by Tessa Gratton (could increase) and signed copy of Blood Magic.
  • First 20 pages critique by the fab Carrie Harris.
  • MUCH, MUCH MORE!
If you would rather donate something to the auction feel free to contact the girls writehope2011(at)gmail(dot)com.
I think this is a fabulous cause and I hope you all at least drop by and say hello!

21 comments:

Lindsay N. Currie said...

I love the way the writing community comes together in the wake of tragedy. The rest of the earth should be so caring:)

Vikki said...

Fabulous blog and a wonderful cause! I've already bid twice for Carrie's new book.:)

D. U. Okonkwo said...

Hey, Jen

This is a great cause, but I also want to point out the very disturbing but enlightening post that Steph Faris posted on her blog last week on 'Steph in the City.'

As a victim of the Nashville floods, she was shocked at how the charities we know and trust treated people. Many of them give our donations out as 'interest free loans' to victims. How crazy is that?

Steph goes on to recommend some charities which are genuine and can be trusted.

Let's be discerning who we choose to partner with.

S.A. Larsenッ said...

Write Hope is wonderful. I first learned of them on Twitter. Great cause, too!

Summer Ross said...

Jen- This is a wonderful cause, I've already stopped by. Wonderful of you to spread the word!

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Some cool items in the auction.

Shannon O'Donnell said...

Thanks for the heads-up, Jen. I need to head over there. :-)

Liz P said...

Thanks Jen! I'll have to go check it out...

Also, if I may... You have an award waiting for you on my blog. Please stop by when you can. :)

Theresa Milstein said...

I'm so proud of the writing community for doing this.

If you get a chance, please visit my blog. I'm holding a 500 follower contest. Great prizes!

Amy Saia said...

Sounds pretty amazing. I'll hop on over.

Matthew MacNish said...

My company has been matching donations, so I gave that way, but this is still a great cause, so I'll certainly stop by to say hi!

Michelle Merrill said...

This is such an awesome event and the bidding is already happening! It's so exciting that we can come together as writer's all over the world. Thanks for posting this Jen, I was thinking the word needed to be spread a little more. And who doesn't love your blog? :) Have a great day.

Karen Lange said...

This is such a great idea. I need to get back over there to check out the items. Thanks for reminding me, Jen!

Christina Lee said...

YAY-I was just over there checking it out!!

Donea Lee said...

What they are doing is awesome! Thanks for giving them a shout out, Jen! :)

Marieke said...

Thanks for the shout out Jen!! :D

And all of you!! <3

D U - you're absolutely right. Choosing the right charity was a lot harder than it seemed, but in the end we had very good experiences with Save the Children, who are providing direct relief in Japan. From our point of view, they're a trusted charity :-)

Doreen McGettigan said...

It is a wonderful thing they are doing. I am a new visitor and follower to your blog and I just wanted to say hello.

http://www.doreenmcgettigan.com

Claude Forthomme said...

I'm a new follower to your blog and wanted to congratulate you: you're doing a superb job!

Please check me out, I think (and hope!) you might find what I blog about interesting - given your concern for Japan that I fully share!

Claude Nougat's blog:
"It's political, it's artsy!"
http://claudenougat.blogspot.com

Lynda R Young as Elle Cardy said...

This is truly fantastic. Thanks for spreading the word

Rachael Harrie said...

Hi Jen, thanks so much for helping us spread the word :) We're seeing some amazing bidding already!

Hugs,

Rach

nutschell said...

what a fabulous contest inDEED! A great way to hel out Japan in their time of need.