Monday, May 31, 2010

Passport to the Library

So I decided to do something a little fun this Monday! Why not take a little vacation to some fabulous libraries that we all wish we could visit! Since today is Memorial Day I've decided to not share a snippet, more or less because writing Mystic hasn't really happened lately, revisions and a new WiP has been in progress!!

So without further ado, let's start our journey!!

New York Public Library



It is one of the greatest libraries in the world, and is often referred to as the museum-library. At present time the library repository counts up to 43, 3 million scientific documents and 15, 5 million books. Apart from books it contains pictures, plates, engravings of famous and lesser-known artists granted together with books.

Library of Duchess Anna Amalia in Weimar, Germany



The library located in Weimar is more famous as Goethe’s Library; in 1797-1832 the poet was its constant visitor. The library contains the richest collection of The Faust editions and musical manuscripts, handwritten books and ancient maps. During the fire of 2004 the library archives were severely damaged, however, now the library is completely renewed.

Library of Alexandria



Nowadays it is the main Egyptian library, the cultural centre located on the seashore of the Mediterranean in the city of Alexandria. The library is the memorial of the Royal Library of Alexandria destroyed in Ancient times and the modern research and educational centre at the same time.

Argentina Library



St. Florian Library, Austria



The library is located in the eastern side wing of St Florian Abbey. It had been built in 1744-1750 by G. Hayberger. The library ceiling is painted by Altomonte and the rococo gallery stretches along the walls.

So there are just a few libraries around the world that look amazing!! Do you have a bookstore that you'd love to go to? A library of your very own that you adore? Happy Monday!!


If you'd like to see more I found this information here.

36 comments:

A said...

Oh my goodness, don't you just love these libraries?

Jessica Bell said...

I'm so jealous. I haven't been to a library in YEARS! They don't have them here :(

Susan Fields said...

The libraries are just gorgeous! Thanks for sharing the photos, I'm in a very literary mood now. :)

Anonymous said...

I have always wanted to take a trip to see the finest libraries in the world. Now I have a few more places to add to my travel map. Thanks!

Jaydee Morgan said...

Those are some incredible libraries!! Thanks for sharing :)

Aubrie said...

What gorgeous libraries! I always thought it was magical to go to my city library as a kid. :)

Vicki Rocho said...

I love all those! I have to go to the library again, but mine doesn't look anything like that.

Kittie Howard said...

Beautiful, beautiful, each a treasure. Thanks for a magical trip on a peaceful morning.

Shelley Sly said...

I love every one of them! Libraries (and book stores) are truly some of my favorite places in the world! Thanks for sharing!

Robby said...

You are KILLING ME! :D

Clara said...

I´d give everthing to go to the Alexandria library, on ancient times. But since I cant, I´d love to visit the new one!

Great post Jen, these librries are awesome! Can´t visit the argentinian one thoug, specially with the world cup (brasilians and argentinians have a small rivalry that began with Pele x Maradona)

Amie McCracken said...

Awesome post! I will have to check out the Weimar and Austrian libraries while I'm in Germany. They look absolutely stunning.

Creepy Query Girl said...

Great pics! Ugh, those libraries are a living dream. Like the one from beauty and the beast...

Kimberly Franklin said...

All of those books and all of those libraries. Love them. They are so pretty!! I definitely want to visit the NYC library.

I hope you have a great Memorial Day!!

Tess said...

gorgeous. I've been blessed to visit the NY Public Library ... but my all time favorite it the Library of Congress in DC. That is one ornate and beautiful place!

Talli Roland said...

Loving these photos, Jen! Oh to be a reader in one of those place. I love the British Library, too.

Tahereh said...

omg i am positively drooling all over this page.

AHHH LIBRARIES!!

i could live forever in those aisles.

<3333333

Karen Lange said...

Wow. And it takes me a little while to get my bearings at my library...am thinking that it would take me a bit longer in these libraries. Happy Monday and Memorial Day to you!

Eva said...

There is something so amazing about really large historic libraries. Those photos were beautiful. Happy Memorial day!

Sarah Callejo said...

Those are incredible. Wouldn't it be a great prize to have them all to yourself for just one day? Best a whole month, or a whole year... You probably need a map to find your way back to the door.

Anonymous said...

Thank you for sharing these! They make me smile. Libraries are so, so fun and wonderful, and I do wish to visit the NY Library one day.

Lindsay said...

Wow. That is all I can say. I wish my local library looked as good as those.
p.s There is something for you over on my blog. :)

sarahjayne smythe said...

What a great idea for a post. And what gorgeous pictures. I can only hope to visit all of those libraries at some point. :)

Tamara Hart Heiner said...

wow! I can't even imagine how one would keep track of millions of books!

Amy Saia said...

The one in Austria looks amazing! Actually, they all do. I'd love to get lost in the Argentinian one. Holy cow that thing looks vast!

Jennie Bailey said...

I could go camping in any of these for a week at a time! I would just love to get lost among those books. I can't imagine the treasures that I would discover! I will never love a library as much I did our small town library growing up. It was tucked away in the back of a small shopping center. My mom took us once every other week during the summer. She would walk around with my younger brother, trying to entice to pick just ONE book. Meanwhile, I would be furiously racing around trying to grab as many as I could before hearing the dreaded words, "Time to go!" They had a limit - 5 books per person. This was perfect! Drew only wanted one so I got a few extra under him. I would spend hours reading in the summer sun - soaking up my share of Vitamin D and words. I could be laying out in the 80 degree sun on a summer afternoon but would shiver along with Lucy in Narnia thanks to damned White Witch. Oh, the carefree days of childhood! Thanks for taking me back there in a roundabout way!

Melissa Hurst said...

Oh, wow! I would seriously LOVE to visit those libraries someday.

Kristin Rae said...

Those are amazing!! What a fun idea to post this. :) Thanks for sharing.

Jemi Fraser said...

Wow! Absolutely amazing places. I could get lost for hours in any of them :)

Samantha Bennett said...

Wow, I would love to write in any of these libraries. Maybe I would have more profound thoughts in these profound places. :)

Unknown said...

what a lovely idea! If you ever go definitely let me know for i would like to join you!

Karen Jones Gowen said...

What gorgeous libraries! Wouldn't it be wonderful to frequent one of these beautiful places every day!

Perpustakaan Indonesia said...

WOW! I am wishing that we have libraries like those.

Sara Louise said...

When I was little, my mother's office was right across the street from the NY library. I spent many an afternoon strolling through it. But my favorite day was when they filmed GhostBusters there!

Olive said...

The Austrian and the German libraries look very cool. So ornate! Which is a little far away from my local library, but I still love it!

Juliette said...

wow, now I have another site to add to my list when we make our way to Weimar (hopefully soon!)

amazing!