Sunday, October 24, 2010

Stanley and the Writing World

So I'm trying something out. An experiment of sorts! Everyone who knows Flat Stanley knows he's a traveler, one who loves to jump in an envelope and travel the world, trying new foods, new experiences, new lives.


So here is my flat stanley (colored him myself) and I've decided to see who would all in the writing world would be down for taking Flat Stanley on adventures... and several people have already agreed (because they are so awesome)!

So I'll be letting you know when the page is updated (which can be found under Stanley's Adventures) but for now here are a few authors who have already visited with Flat Stanley...

Alexandra Adornetto visisted Blue Willow and Stanley was overjoyed to be in a photo!










Last week Tony DiTerlizzi, Flat Stanley and I all had coffee at Starbucks, we enjoyed talking about The Search for Wondla, how Tony got his start, how him and Holly Black met, and co-created The Spiderwick Chronicles.

So here's what I know when we got down to questions with Tony...

Hero or Sidekick: Hero (used to be the quiet nerdy guy)
How Tony met Holly (for Spiderwick Chronicles): He worked at Dungeons and Dragons and Holly Black wanted to interview him for the small magazine she worked for. They had dinner and became friends, the rest, is history.
Advice for Writers: Keep writing, HAVE OTHERS READ IT. So many times he talks with writers working towards publishing and they never show their work.
Favorite snacks: Coffee, Macaroons, Fig Newtons
Favorite writing space: IN MY MIND, also a studio (cool way of saying converted basement).
Favorite book: Watership Down

And there's a bit about Tony!

Next stop for Flat Stanley? Victoria Schwab... Cyn Balog... and other awesome authors!

27 comments:

The Words Crafter said...

Wow, I have stuff in common with Tony D! I love fig newtons and write mostly in my head. That just means one day I'll be famous! LOL!

I think your Flat Stanley idea is a great one. Alas, I'll be swamped with NaNo, so I'll just have to wait until December to see what new idea I can participate with.

Look forward to reading more of his adventures!

Joanna St. James said...

Flat stanley is a celeb! cant wait to read all about his cool little adventures.

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Think you've started a trend!

Marieke said...

I love this! :D

Theresa Milstein said...

Flat Stanley, author meeter. I like the twist!

Anonymous said...

I do much writing in my head as I'm always thinking about developing this scene or that chapter. And I love Fig Newtons. Posted the Jonathan Winters Big Fig Newton on my weekend Follies just last month.

Stephen Tremp

Jemi Fraser said...

Go Stanley! Can't wait to see where he shows up next :)

Diana Mieczan said...

Flat Stanley is adorable and I cant wait to see more of him:) Hope you are relaxing today,sweetie
Hugs and kisses

See you tomorrow morning

Melissa Gill said...

That is so cool. I love flat Stanley. I can't wait to see what he gets up to next.

Colene Murphy said...

That's really cool! Tony sounds pretty cool!

Kimberly Franklin said...

That's so cute! I can't wait to see what other adventures Flat Stanley has!

Amie Kaufman said...

Go Stanley go! This is such a fantastic idea. I have a little toy hippo (he's called Hippocrates, you can laugh if you like) who comes all over the world with me, and enjoys having his picture taken in front of famous landmarks. What Hippocrates does for travel, Flat Stanley is doing for the writing world! Love it!

Talli Roland said...

Woo! Go Stanley! What a great way to see the world - through the eyes of writers!

Hope you're having a great weekend, Jen and Stanley!

Beth said...

Stanley seems to be having fun!
beth-project52.blogspot.com

Jen said...

I love having a Flat Stanley. I'm on my third one because sometimes Stanley doesn't come back home! This fun!

Kittie Howard said...

Ohhh, tell Tony D he's grrrreat! Fig newtons are my most favorite cookie in the whole wide world...OMG, just remembered a farm story and ... oh, Jen, You're THE greatest!!!

Janet Johnson said...

What a fun idea! Very cool to meet Tony DiTerlizzi. :)

Theresa said...

I love flat stanley! Thanks for following my blog!

Catherine said...

I love Flat Stanley and read his book to my kids when they were small - the idea of being posted across the country was fascinating and being flattened by a notice board something quite credible to a small person. What a fun idea to take Stanley on adventures! I am sure he'd enjoy an Irish safari! He could even come to work!
Have fun, Catherine.

Cialina at Muggle-Born.net said...

What an adorable idea! I love this. Can't wait to see more. :)

Sharon K. Mayhew said...

It looks like your Flat Stanley is having an awesome time!

erica m. chapman said...

That's so cool!! I love the colors you used ;o) I especially like his tie ;o) Can't wait to see where he goes!!

Alison Can Read said...

How cool! Both that you made a Flat Stanley and met the co-creator of the Spiderwick Chronicles.

Jennifer Hillier said...

The adventures of Flat Stanley! Love it! Such a cool thing to do, Jen!

Ellie Garratt said...

Yay for Flat Stanley! Where will he go next?

Karen Baldwin said...

Cute idea. I'll be watching for more appearances of Flat Stanley.

Amy Holder said...

This is such a creative idea!!! I'm looking forward to meeting Flat Stanley in person.