Friday, November 18, 2011

Writers Support Groups

Us as writers are naturally lonesome creatures. At least when it comes to writing that one last chapter - unless of course you buddy up while writing.

However one thing I love about blogging is how caring all the writers are. I've never felt more alive and complete then when I stop by each of your blogs and comment. The heartwarming feeling is unmatched by anything in the real world. Here writing is not only understood it's appreciated and welcomed.

The publishing world wants us to be better networkers and right now we're obliging. Each post is well thought out along with making new connections. We're finding that it's more than just for the agent or big publishing house, we're making life long friendships.

That doesn't mean we don't have off days. What does one do when this happens? Well email is a fabulous place to start, after all we are all friends. Venting is welcome because we as writers are here for one another, pushing each other to strive for the goals we set for ourselves. However sometimes we want advice that email just doesn't seem to get through fast enough to a good amount of people.

Writers Support Groups are amazing. After all we all need one another at one point in our lives. If you're not part of one you should be! There everywhere! Yahoo, NaNaWriMo, Facebook, Twitter, or all around the blog. The connections are everywhere. We need to continue to connect with one another and remember that we're in this together. There isn't a competition amongst us all because we all have our own unique voices. Kindness is what makes this profession one I look forward to always being a part of.
Join us in the support system us writers call home. Anything troubling you? Do you have a support group? How do you cope when you're stuck or just need some advice?

18 comments:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Yes I do! The Insecure Writer's Support Group. And every first Wednesday, the posts across the blogging world from members are just amazing, as are the comments of encouragement.

Laura Pauling said...

This journey is much better with the support of writer friends. I def. find that with emails and talking with my crit group and blogging friends.

Jessica Bell said...

My writers support group is right here with all you wonderful bloggers. I couldn't ask for anything better being so far away in Greece!

Diana Mieczan said...

I think it's brilliant to have a little support group:) Have a sunny Friday morning, sweetie. xo

Anna Banks said...

If I need to vent, I'll do it to my critique partner over pumpkin cheesecake at Olive Garden. But just glancing at other writer's blogs, tweets, etc feels like a support group in itself. We are one big community, aren't we? And the most giving. Happy Friday!

DL Hammons said...

Although critique groups are my #1 go to point for support, the blogosphere is a close runner-up. Open 24/7, there is always somebody out there willing to listen and comfort. There's nothing like it! :)

Unknown said...

I'm lucky to live a block away from one of the people in my writing group so that is pretty great. I love all the support I've found on blogs and twitter.

Amie Borst said...

crit groups, support groups, blogging - they're all wonderful ways to support one another!

Jessica Salyer said...

I participate in The Insecure Writer's Support Group, but have also found wonderful support on Twitter and my blog. I’ve also made some good friends too. :)

Jack Edwards Poetry said...

Great post and very true. I am part of a local writers group and it's great to see not just other writers but a variety of styles and forms in the group.

April Plummer said...

I agree! I love writers' support groups! I've made such great friends through AW and blogging and FB. The constant encouragement is necessary, I think. I also love supporting other writers - through comments on blogs and on writers' forums and FB and of course, buying each other's books. Good post!

Len Lambert said...

My writing support network is right here, too, all the writer-bloggers. I'm also connected to so many helpful, supportive and lovely people on Facebook :) Thank you, Jen! This is an awesome post from your awesomeness! xoxo

Tasha Seegmiller said...

I have a critique group and we keep each other motivated. I also have found that blogging and twitter provide me with encouragement, even if indirectly, that I never thought I could find.

Great post.

Mel Chesley said...

I agree! I love the support I get from all of you, my friends, my fellow authors.
I don't know if I could have been successful in my writing this time around if it wasn't for all of you and I can't thank people enough!
Great post!

Jennifer Hillier said...

I teeter on the brink of insanity all the time. If not for the friendships I've made with other writers, I'd fallen a long time ago.

Happy to say that you're one of my best supporters, Jen! Hope I do the same for you. :)

lisa and laura said...

YES! We have a handful of close writer friends that we email back and forth with. And we always try to do lunch with Cleveland writer friends about once a month. I can't imagine writing with out a support group. We would positively wither.

Kathryn Elliott said...

I'm lucky to have both cyber and local, face to face support groups. Cannot get enough help! (The local group has wine! Bonus!)

Romance Reader said...

Romance writers are the warmest, and best support group there is!