Monday, February 15, 2010

the right to write

I know most of you are looking for writings on the wall, but due to Presidents day I have had to clean, do laundry and other things!!! So instead I'll talk a little bit about the book I'm reading...

One of my friends let me borrow a few books, and since you all know I love to soak up as much information at this moment that I can I gladly accepted. One of those books was The Right to Write by Julia Cameron. I am very excited to start reading it, well I have already started it therefore I know that I will enjoy it!

First Chapter is Begin, she shares a bit about the situation she is in and then at the end she gives an Initiation tool, which is what I have listed below...

Take three sheets of 8 1/2 by 11 paper. Start at the top of page one and for three pages decribe how and what you are feeling right now. Begin where are-physically, emotionally and psychologically. Write about anything and everything that crosses your mind.
This is a free-form exercise. You cannot do it wrong. Be petty, critical, whining, scared. Be exciting, adventurous, worried, happy. Be whatever and however you are at this moment. Get current. Feel the current of your own thoughts and emotions. Keep your ahnd moving and simply hang out on the page. When yu have finished writing there pages, stop.

I think this book is going to be very helpful and I want to thank Erin from Thirty on the Horizon for letting me borrow it!!! She has started a blog where she has listed 30 things she'd like to accomplish before she is 30, so you should check it out!!!

14 comments:

Hannah Nicole said...

Thanks for the fun prompt! :)

Ashley Stone said...

great idea! I'll have to try it.

Christopher said...

Sounds like fun.

Robby said...

This sounds really great!
I love your blog, by the way. :]

Lais said...

Love this post, love this idea, love your blog!

Erin Kuhns said...

Julia Cameron is my hero. If you ever have the opportunity, take part in "The Artist's Way" - also by Julia Cameron. It was through this book that I learned about Morning Pages (what you describe above) and I still do them, though I don't manage to do them every single day. It's therapeutic on so many levels.

Enjoy the Right to Write...I realize it's time for me to read it again.

Swimmer said...

Cool I think I'll try

Mariah Irvin said...

I just found a book called "The Writer's Bible" and is has EVERYTHING. It's intense!

Kimberly Franklin said...

Sounds like a great idea. I need to try it!

Carolyn V. said...

30 things before she's 30? That's a great idea. I am, unfortunately, over 30, so I would have to add more to mine. =) What a fun idea.

Mary E Campbell said...

Sounds like a great book. I need to work on 40 things before I'm forty - I'll never accomplish it. How about just a few things I want to accomplish. That monkey bread looks so good - thanks for the recipe. Also thanks for visiting my blog and becoming a follower. I really appreciate your comments about my blogfest piece.

Anissa said...

I definitely don't do enough free writing. Thanks for the tip!

Jessica Strassner said...

I'm going to have to try that. I'm going to have to check out that book, too!

Wowzer Schnauzer said...

Thanks for the shout out! If you want to borrow the Artists Way next, let me know!