Friday, April 2, 2010

the closing

Happy Friday!!!!

With my book coming to a close I find that I am nervous and excited all at once. I'm so excited that I am closing out the last few pages along with one awesome ending! I'm excited to have grabbed myself an awesome crit group to dive right in the process (you know who you are!!) We already have a date set for our first exchange of WIPs, it's exciting to see that I'm taking the next step and I can truly call myself a writer and not just a wannabe!

Now the nerves kick in after I've thought about all the positives. Yes I'll be finished with my first draft but is it any good? I mean of course I'm proud of it but will others be? Will others love my idea as much as I love my idea? Will the crit group understand the story? Does it make sense? Also I'm a bit nervous about all the revisions I know there will be a lot. I am a pansters kind of gal after also I haven't even looked back at my WIP since I started it 4 1/2 weeks ago. Do you see where I am taking this? I'm having an emotional battle inside my head... one that clearly doesn't need to happen. The good thing is that I know I'll make it through I just need to remind myself to take one step at a time to prevent from being overwhelmed!!

Do you ever find the excitements and the nerves running together? What do you do to keep from going crazy... or have you already crossed that threshold?

19 comments:

Abby. said...

I'm sure everyone will love your book Jen, you just gotta go for it!
Yes, I just love free days at school, although they don't happen very often.
Have a good weekend! :)
xx,
~Abby~

Talli Roland said...

I've crossed the threshold to craziness and it's a great place to be once you get here! :) Seriously, congrats on being almost done your WIP! That's brilliant! First drafts are always difficult to share but the great thing is that they are only that - first drafts. So there's plenty of room for manoeuver!

Happy Friday.

Christine Danek said...

I have nerves all the time. I'm sure it will be great. I'm pansters too so no worries. It took you 4 1/2 weeks --go you! Can't wait to hear more about it. ;)
Have a great weekend!

DL Hammons said...

I just do what my wife accuses me of doing all the time. I DON'T THINK...JUST DO. :)

Faith Pray said...

Great job for getting near the end!
Good work!

Amanda said...

Congrats on nearly finishing, and good luck with the crit group! Personally, I can't bear to show anyone my first draft of anything. I have to edit it through at least once myself before it gets seen by anyone else! You're a braver woman than I am!

sarahjayne smythe said...

Congrats on finishing. I'm sure it's great. And I'm sure you'll have great luck with your crit group's response. :)

Robby said...

Good luck with your critique group! I love finishing the first drafts. Editing is annoying and difficult, more frustrating than I explain. But it is worth it, in the end.
Congratulations. I'm sure they'll love it. :]

Crystal Cook said...

I'm so proud of you!! I'm sure it will be amazing and that they'll love it! But yeah, nerves, I have them all the time, like every stinking day.

Great job!!! 4 1/1 weeks? You're amazing girl!

JE said...

Is it your first crit group? They are the best thing since the invention of the wheel. Good luck!

~JD

Matthew MacNish said...

Morning Jen, congratulations on all the progress with your WIP!

As to your question it is the best of times and the worst of times when the excitement and the anxiety run hand in hand. Pray for it and dread it at the same time.

Shameless promotion:

Please visit my blog and comment today. I have a post by guest blogger Justine Dell where she shares an ACTUAL query letter of hers that found success.

She is a wonderfully lady, always willing to help another writer and I would really like her to get the recognition she deserves.

Thanks!

Summer Frey said...

I'm sure your crit group will love it! I get extremely anxious when I give things to people. When stuff is all polished up, I often feel like I'm an under-writer, leaving too much to the reader to infer, which they often don't...and therefore they miss half the meaning of the story and make wrong logical connections, etc. Still working on figuring out that balance.

Critique sessions are awesome, trust me.

And looks like you're shaping up for NaNoWriMo this fall! 90k in 5 weeks? You are so ready! Sequel, maybe? :-)

Christina Farley said...

Congrats on finishing your draft. That is huge!

Carolyn V. said...

You started your draft 4 1/2 weeks ago?! I am so impressed!

I'm in a couple of critique groups, and I love them! It's nice to get feedback and polish things up. I hope the group goes super-well! =)

Kittie Howard said...

Congrats! You're amazing, Jen! And inspirational! I personally think determination overwhelms the jitters. Worry not! And Happy Easter to you and yours!

Danyelle L. said...

*hugs* I plead the fifth on the sanity question. ;-)
Waiting is hard, but like you said, well worth it. Crit groups are awesome! Congrats on finishing your first draft and good luck!

Unknown said...

Ahh!!! I open up my blogger this morning and see all these wonderful comments! It's amazing! I'll have to drop by each one of your blogs and give you a special little note (which I planned on anyways!) to make up for it :)

Lydia Kang said...

congrats on finishing! That's so awesome! And be happy about that feeling. You deserve it!

VR Barkowski said...

Congrats on finishing Jen! Well done, you! :)