Thursday, September 22, 2011

My Fives

What up my peeps.

It seems as if thursday is always creeping up on me. Coming up with truths, fun questions, random facts can be tough. I figured telling you my five do's in life would give you something new to look at. Chick Lit is Not Dead asks all their authors to share their five do's and a don't. I love this little meme so I figured I'd join in on the fun!

So, that's what I'm going to do.

DO...

Be unique. Your quirks are a representation of you. Embrace them and others will. The more you hide you are the more difficult it is to shed later on.

Something random. Roller derby we tried on a whim and ever since then attend each bout they have once a month. They're addicting, and had we not chose to be random we never would have met amazing people, or learned about such an amazing sport.

Celebrate your accomplishments. If you finish a first draft, go through your first revisions, publish, get your first A. Everything should be celebrated. Even if it's over a couple of cookies and a glass of milk, be sure to take the time to remember those moments.

Be nice. The relationships you make in life show others how you want to be treated. Sharing good news with others, listening, and forming relationships is a way to stay humble.

DON'T...

Be afraid of rejection. They make you stronger. In the moment no one enjoys rejections but later on we realize there was something to learn. Each time we're rejected we become stronger in our own right.

What are your five do's? How about your don't?

23 comments:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Good list!
Don't forget to encourage others.

Susan Fields said...

I like the "Be nice" one - that's so important! My "do" is DO make time for writing everyday.

Karen Baldwin said...

My do's are similar to yours. My don't is...don't wallow. I abhor self-pity.

Javid Suleymanli said...

being unique is my thing! :)

Anonymous said...

Love this.
I'm not good at doing something random. **hangs head** I'm so boring and fairly predictable.

So, I'll take a shot at this.
DO...
Take time to smell the roses. Or, one of my favorite things...take in a sun rise.

Eat Chocolate: Well, unless you're allergic. I had to put this here, because, well, it's chocolate.

Smile. Smiling is contagious. Let's spread the good.

Hug someone you love. For me, that's my sweet hubby. He just makes me smile. And well #3 is smile....okay. You get it.

Don't...
Take life too seriously. :) Have FUN!

Shannon said...

Great list! =)

Hrm...off the top of my head. 5 Dos:

1. Live your own truth
2. Be honest with yourself & Others
3. Honor your intuition
4. Nurture your creativity
5. Help others as much as possible

Don't:
Gossip. Evil, vile, nasty habit.

<3

Hermana Tiffany Garner said...

Thanks for the uplifting post! I always look forward to your blog.

Unknown said...

Dos? I like your "be nice" and I also think a person should like themselves. Because we have to live with ourselves through our whole life, I would think a person would want to live with someone they liked.

Dont's? Don't lick the top of a can you just opened with a can opener.

Sarah Tokeley said...

I need to inject more random into my life. I'll try to schedule it in ;-)

Angela said...

How about don't be crushed be rejection. I'm perfectly fine with not fearing it at this point, but my heart still sinks whenever I receive one. Does that ever stop?

Ed said...

My five:

1. Realize your awesomeness.
2. Show everyone your awesomeness.
3. Let them worship your awesomeness.
4. Make them wish they were this awesome.
5. Pity them for thier unawesomeness.

Talli Roland said...

Those are fantastic! I have to agree with the being nice one. That goes a long way! I also try to support other writers whenever I can... and I try NOT to be jealous when I see others having fantastic successes!

Laila Knight said...

Hey there Jen, loved your do's and don'ts, they are so true. Following you back. :)

Abby Fowers said...

I love your DON'T. So important. Okay - I love your DO's too! Hmmm... One DO I have is to always go for it and never hold back. Live outside of the box.

Amie Borst said...

always be kind, even when it's painful :)

Shannon O'Donnell said...

Great list! :-)

DO: take time for yourself once in a while; eat chocolate and drink coffee; tell people you love them every single day; appreciate the little things; hold on to hope.
DON'T: ever give up!

Amy Saia said...

Wise and well written. I like everyone's comments too.

A.L. Sonnichsen said...

I love your do's. And your don't is so true, too. I need to remember to celebrate more, instead of rushing on to the next thing.

Thanks, Jen!

By the way, roller derby?!? I love to roller skate and I always thought I might enjoy watching that sport. Hmmm.... :)

Amy

Meredith said...

I love your do's and especially your don't! Such an awesome way to live life.

LTM said...

Excellent! I love "be random"--LOL! I guess I'd say DO make time to spend with friends; DO take chances; DO be nice. Always a good one. DON'T forget to say thank you~ ((hugs))

Jennifer Hillier said...

Love these, Jen! My five would be:

Be yourself.
Be kind.
Do what you can to support others.
It's always better after a good night's sleep.
It's not over unless you say it is.

Liz Reinhardt said...

Love these dos...especially the 'be nice.' It's lame to say, but it's nice to be nice, and it's even nicer to spread nice thoughts/feelings/ideas around. I love your 'don't.' Rejection hurts, but it really does make you stronger! It's a hard mantra to keep up when you're in the midst of lots o'rejection, though!

Samantha VĂ©rant said...

I love your list! So true!

I'd add:

Follow your heart.
And don't be afraid to follow your dreams!