Monday, March 19, 2012

Chapped lips and a suntan

I’ve started writing again. It’s been awhile since I’ve actually put pen to paper but last week when I was at the Rodeo here in Houston I had inspiration. The Band Perry was in concert and there songs were beautiful, leaving me with all these little quips that I was singing throughout the day.

I decided to take the inspiration and write. They’re lyrics are beautiful. Any who, I’m not looking to be anything like them. Here is just a poem about love and life.
Author note: I don’t claim to be an expert. Just writing because that’s what we as writers do… write what we feel.

Would you push me on the tire swing
Let the wind rush through my hair
Bare feet hanging in the air
Backyard filled with laughter
 
Would you take me to a picnic
Hopping to the finish line in the potato sack
Popsicle stains on my white t-shirt
Washing off in the cold lake water
 
Would you take me to the ocean
Splash the water as big drops fall
Sun kissed hair soaked
Leaving with chapped lips and tans

Would you take me to a country bar
Teach me how to two-step
Hold me tight and swing me round
Kissing me all the night

Have your own you’d like to add?

19 comments:

Laura Pauling said...

I love the Band Perry! I love those lyrics. Such great imagery.

April Plummer said...

I love the Band Perry too! My husband hates that song, though. LOL. He's like, "Would I catch a couple fireflies? Walk a hundred miles to fill your jar with sand? Are you kidding me, PRINCESS?" But I love that song and agree the imagery is incredible. :)

Meredith said...

Aw, your poem is beautiful! You've matched their imagery so well. Yay for the rodeo! And now I want to go two-stepping. :)

Michael Di Gesu said...

Howdy stranger.

Glad you and hubs had a great time!

Your lyrics are wonderful and packed with great imagery. Well done.

I hope you're doing well... I think it's time for a chat... don't you?

Bluestocking Mum said...

I hadn't heard of the Band Perry.

Lovely poem - love the backyard filled with laughter!

It's good to see you back writing.

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

No, but I bet you can come up with a great story to accompany that poem!

Nicole Zoltack said...

Great lyrics!

Carolyn V said...

Aw! Love the poem Jen!

I was just thinking the other day about songs and lyrics. I'm amazed at how they are strung together to create something powerful. Love it. ;)

i'm erin. said...

Wow, I love the poem. It really just inspired me. And I haven't heard of the band Perry, am I lame?

i'm erin. said...

Wow, I love the poem. It really just inspired me. And I haven't heard of the band Perry, am I lame?

Johanna Garth said...

Love it, and I'm sure its the Tire Swing reference but it made me think of the song "Tire Swing" as sort of an accompaniment.

Jemi Fraser said...

Awesome - loved the imagery you evoked! :)

Lindsay N. Currie said...

Cute, and thoughtful Jen. As always:)

Nancy Thompson said...

A poet, I am not, though I do love it so! I use music every day to inspire my writing. It is the one thing I can always count on to motivate me. One song inspired me to write an entire book! And I just sold it, too! So here's to music and lyrics!

Kimberlee Turley said...

In school I never thought much of poetry until my teacher asked me if I liked music on the radio. When she explained that was essentially poetry my jaw dropped and I fell in love.

Amy Saia said...

That was great, Jen! Nice, strong images. Loved it!

Sarah Tokeley said...

I haven't heard of them, but I loved your poem so I'll have to go check them out.

Kimberly Franklin said...

Never heard of them. Of course, I may have heard their song and just didn't know who it was. Just stopping in to say hi. HI!!

LTM said...

Oh, tire swings!! I love that. And yay! You're writing again! Many happy writing vibes to you~ :o) <3