Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Where you suck the least...

Your path as a writer has a beginning, middle, and end. It isn't want defines you. It's simply a set of rules you've put upon yourself to be met.

Write your first novel.
Get rejected.
Attempt not to humiliate yourself.
Write another novel.

Without those beginning, middle, and ends, there gives you no goals and no hope. If you have an open slate chances are you'll be that procrastinator we all love to hate that creeps in and takes over your writing life.

Part of a writers life is to be dedicated. JK Rowling didn't become a success because she half-assed the Harry Potter Series and only wrote four novels. No, she finished all seven, no matter how many blood, sweat, and tears went into it she knew she had to complete it. It was her goal, the end of one project so she could start the beginning of another.

Are we better at one stage? I'd say in the game of writer life I'm better at the beginning. It's that energy you get when you feel that the whole world has your back, you're going to be successful, and the end is going to zip by so fast you'll be waving all the way from project three. It's tough to pull yourself out of the beginning because it's so damn fun. There are no responsibilities. Just you and your pen taking on the world.

The same applies to the writing itself. A beginning, middle, and end. After all, if you never set the goal you'll just be the so-called-writer who lives in their grandparents basement still working on the comic book story you started when you were seven.

Don't be the so-called-writer. Set some goals. Decide where you're better at and strive to push through the one your the worst at.

In your writer life or writing in general, where do you stand? What's the most difficult stage for you?

22 comments:

Jillian said...

Jen awesome post!!!!!

I find that I am better in the middle and end, the beginning is always scary and intimidating lol.

PS I just wanted to congratulate you again xxxooo!

Natalie Aguirre said...

So true. I'm much better once I get the first draft done. It's going really slow this time but I'm plugging along.

Unknown said...

Goals are so important for the writer. And although I know I'm better at writing than editing and promoting, I think a writer should make it a goal to improve in all aspects of the writing life. Super post!

Meredith said...

I'm the same--I'm always better at the beginning! It's when I get mired in revisions that I start losing my way. Fingers crossed that doesn't happen this time!

Slamdunk said...

Good post Jen. As boring as they sound, lists and roadmaps can help in any pursuit.

I am def a beginner as well. The long road usually gets to me though.

Arlee Bird said...

I'm good at starting stuff, but sometimes I get stuck somewhere along the way. My biggest problem is that I keep thinking up new thing to start and let the other things get booged down.

Lee
An A to Z Co-Host
Tossing It Out

Shelley Sly said...

Very wise post, Jen. The middle is where I suffer, both in the middle of my WIP and in the middle of the writing journey. Beginnings are full of excitement, but for me, middles are full of uncertainty.

Angela said...

I'm pushing through a tough stage now, thus my lack of blogging. But things seem to be looking up a bit of late, so I'm hopeful my thunder will return.

Carolyn V said...

Working on that second book has been a bit of a struggle. I've always started first books, but never a second in a series. It's a little different than starting the first one. But I'm growing as I learn. Who can ask for anything better? Okay, maybe a handful of chocolate to go with the growing. ;)

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Right now I am writing with the goal of finishing my trilogy, which is two books more than I ever thought I'd write.

Jennie Bailey said...

I love the beginning stages - the shiny new idea, the exploring, the first draft writing. I'm even good at the rewriting, but I have to rely heavily on my Crit Partners after the second draft to catch things and keep me honest!

Laura S. said...

Great motivation in this post, Jen!

Anonymous said...

I find the last few chapters the hardest. Just knowing I am so close to the end seems to push it further away.

roxanne s. sukhan said...

The middle ~ the guts of the whole thing ~ I find quite daunting.

erica and christy said...

Darn saggy middle anyway...
erica

Charlotte Brentwood said...

I like the beginning the best, and then the satisfied feeling after edits when you feel the MS is in good shape.

Apart from saggy middles, the worst part is accepting the fact that a MS will never see the light of day.

Beth said...

I think I'm worst at editing, although I'm not good at plotting either. But I've started breaking books down into plot points to get better at it.

RaShelle Workman said...

Jen - I struggle with edits. I want perfection and it drives me crazy when I can't get it. Grrr.

Theresa Milstein said...

Happy birthday, Jennifer!

I keep writing and submitting. I've had a few short piece successes, which are propelling me to continue.

Clara said...

Oh lovely, great question! I think the part I love the most is editing.
I love creating everything out of zero but when I edit is when the story truly fleshes out. : )

A.L. Sonnichsen said...

I'm at so many different stages all the time, but I think I like the variety: editing one project, thinking about another, waiting to hear back on another. It's a fun place to be from that standpoint. But yes, it's imperative that we finish strong!

Sarah Tokeley said...

The bit I'm on right now almost always seems to be the most difficult :-)