Friday, May 18, 2012

Funky Friday - Adoption Edition

So I know all of you love to keep informed on how the adoption is going so I figured today was the perfect day to shed some light on the process!

The five truths about preparing for adoption with Jen...

1. Cats suck. So we needed to update our lovely cat records and in doing so this requires our Siamese to step outside his comfort zone and enjoy a peaceful car ride to the vets office, or not. Picture this: pooping, peeing, hyperventilating (and no, this isn't me), while I'm shoving him the car as he screams at me (in meows of course) of all the awful things I am. Thank you vets for your incapability of in home visits.

2. Homework. When someone tells me that buying a house is a lot of paperwork I want to give them my best Russian accent and say "you are so wrong". Why Russian? Sounds more mysterious and firm. Adoption paperwork takes the cake. I suppose it makes sense, after all you're not buying a house... your investing in a bundle of joys future. It's worth it... but it doesn't mean I wasn't overly optimistic that people were lying about the paperwork.

3. Fingerprinting. The gig is up. Soon they'll find that I enjoy wearing striped neon socks to bed, neon sports bras to work out, and that I think my Coca-cola shirt and red rimmed sun glasses on Fridays make me look so cool. I knew this day would come. When all the quirks were laid out on the table. You win fingerprint guy, you win.

4. Budget. If I had stupid money I'd have one girls room decorated and one boys room. You know... to give the birth mother options. We are that excited. I want to start buying things and yet I know it isn't smart. During nine months of pregnancy birth mothers get to watch and feel their baby grow. Mines growing inside someone else. Someone I have yet to meet. Patience has never been my thing. I'm just still impressed I haven't at least but a onesie... don't worry, it's coming.

5. Home Study. The day of judgement. An individual comes in and will ask my husband and I series of questions. Am I scared? HECK NO... I eat animal crackers for breakfast... wait... what was I saying? *bites fingernails* So my nerves are a little higher than usual. After all, no one wants to be told they'd suck as a parent when they've yet to even have a child to test out the truth behind the words.

Author note: We are overjoyed to still be in the game. It's a roller coaster ride but we are enjoying every dip and climb that comes our way. In the end we'll have a sweet baby to care for!

23 comments:

Lindsay N. Currie said...

Jen, I'm cheering you on daily. Your quirkiness is a wonderful thing and I know 100% that you have more love to give than they could ever determine with a fingerprint:)

Connie Keller said...

Thanks for keeping us updated. I'm cheering from the sidelines!

Anne Gallagher said...

Jen, no matter how many books you read, no matter how much advice you get, nothing will prepare you for having a baby. Just take it as it comes and open your heart to the love. Which I know you've already done. Just relax and breathe. You'll be awesome parents.

And light green and yellow make awesome colors for a neutral baby's room.

Natalie Aguirre said...

Having gone through it, I can totally relate. With an international adoption there's even more paperwork that has to be authenticated by various agencies. Once I drove 3 hours to get a paper authenticated a few days earlier than if I fed expressed it because I was so impatient.

Don't worry. You'll survive the homestudy. I was worried too because my husband's past was not perfect and he has health issues. But we made it and I'm sure yours will be easier.

Thanks for the update.

Nicole Zoltack said...

I'm rooting for you guys! There's nothing better than snuggling with a baby.

Jessica Bell said...

So glad you still have a sense of humour about it all! Thinking of you and hoping your dreams come true! :)

Matthew MacNish said...

Whoa. I thought you were pregnant for a second. That's what I get for skimming the title.

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

No stress, Jen. You'll make an awesome and very fun mom.

Emily White said...

I am so happy for you!

Laurel Garver said...

What an adventure! Glad all the hoop-jumping hasn't dampened your sense of humor. I hope the social workers and such you work with appreciate that and see the value of joy in a household. Wishing you every success in building your family.

Laura S. said...

Wow, Jen! I didn't realize you are so far into the process. This is wonderful! Sending you lots of positive vibes and sparkly energy!!!

S.P. Bowers said...

At a previous job the hubs had to get security clearance with the government. The adoption paperwork was SO MUCH WORSE. Worth it though. Good luck with everything, I hope it goes through quick.

anthony stemke said...

We are in your corner 100%. Best of luck.

Maurice Mitchell said...

I used to hate taking my cat to the vet. pretty much the same thing.
- Maurice Mitchell
The Geek Twins | Film Sketchr
@thegeektwins | @mauricem1972

Angela said...

Squeee! You're adopting? I'm so excited for you to have a little person in your life. They are so sweet and unique. Such a blessing, really. And I'm sure you'll make a great Mom. How could you not when you love Animal crackers so much?

I hope everything goes smoothly.

Beth said...

Maybe, if u get an older baby u wont have to wait for it to grow inside the birth mom? Good luck w/ the homestudy.

Unknown said...

I'm so excited for you! I'm so happy you're sharing your story with us. I hope things go well. It seems like a lot of work.

Amy Saia said...

I hope everything works out and you get to hold your sweet child soon. It's exciting hearing about the process!

Meredith said...

I can't imagine how much work you have to do to convince the adoption agency that you're going to be wonderful parents! But you've got the best attitude--that it's going to be so much more than worth it when you get your baby! Good luck!

Unknown said...

Oh, I'm so thrilled for you. It's going to be a lot of hard work but, as you say, more than worth it. I hope everything goes smoothly (and quickly :)) for you!

alexia said...

Good luck! This is wonderful!

Anonymous said...

Hi Jen! Best wishes!

A.L. Sonnichsen said...

I remember all these steps very well. I'm sure it will all go fabulously for you. :)