Friday, May 11, 2012

I know I'm a writer when...

I decided to keep this post short and sweet today. After all, Fridays are meant for the relaxed and fun just before the weekend! I also have recently realized my husband puts up with a lot for me being a writer. The midnight conversations I have while I sleep and he so sweetly remembers so he can tell me later just in case it would be good for a story. I do love being a writer... you can get away with so much fun!

So, I know I'm a writer when...

1. I talk about eye lashes in my pancakes.

2. I make my husband catch falling stars with brown paper bags.

3. My excitement for a book expo is that of a child opening Christmas gifts.

4. My girls night out consists of cocktails and our version of boy talk – cute characters in books.

5. My diet consists of caffeine and candy.

How do you know you’re a writer (besides writing a book)?

19 comments:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

When I can't read a book without looking for typos!

The Champagne Diet said...

When I obsess over and analyze covers, when I read Seth Godin and quote him to friends and family members (and watch their eyes roll), when I have a notepad that I doodle possible book titles in ALL. DAY. LONG!!

Spanj said...

When I make my husband sit in the bathroom while I have a bath so that we can brainstorm my plot.

Sheila Siler said...

When I evaluate a book based on how well it is written, not just on whether I liked the story or not.

S.A. Larsenッ said...

#4 - I do that. ;D

Anonymous said...

When I say about every single event in my life, good or bad - well, this will be good book fodder someday. I may or may not have said (or shrieked) this during labor, even.

S.P. Bowers said...

When my hubby doesn't even blink if I start muttering to myself and acting out scenes.

Jillian said...

I never go anywhere without my notebook!!!

It has a special place in my diaper bag now :)

Maurice Mitchell said...

I'm not a writer since I don't drink coffee with candy. Can I be a blogger if I drink coffee with donuts? :)
- Maurice Mitchell
The Geek Twins | Film Sketchr
@thegeektwins | @mauricem1972

Angela Brown said...

When I describe something to a group and the first thing someone asks is if I write?

Or when I read a book I notice words then, without trying, imagine a stronger, more evocative word choice.

roxanne s. sukhan said...

... when I secretly edit the books I'm reading inside my head.

Anne Gallagher said...

I can't read any more historical romances. I can only write them now.

Amy Saia said...

Funny! When I see a book and picture mine in its place.

Leslie S. Rose said...

Post-its all over the mirror and casting the characters in books for the movie version.

Meredith said...

Caffeine and candy, definitely. :) And piles of papers that I've scribbled random ideas on filing up my desk. Happy weekend, Jen!

Beth said...

I do #3 & #5

Jennifer Hillier said...

Awesome, Jen! Agree with all of these. I'd also add, "Talking about my characters as if they were real people." I do this all the time. Drives people nuts!

Annalisa Crawford said...

When I use really big words to talk to my kids.

deathwriter said...

I'm constantly plotting my life based on what would be an interesting read. I write nonfiction, so I look at myself as a character. And so do other people:)