Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Wednesday Wordies

This week I didn't plan for a theme at all. In fact, I opened up Amazon searched for young adult books and looked for the most interesting title or the first cover that caught my attention. Turns out the theme created itself... ages in the first sentences! Without even trying my subconscious took me on a wild ride in age land. So, is this simply a coincidence or are there just that many books that start off with an age?

1. I'm eighteen now, just turned eighteen last month.

2. I was seventeen years old when I saw my first dead body.

3. I was seven and living in Los Angeles when Japan surrendered at the end of World War II, and my first vivid memories are of how happy and excited everyone was.

Number two is one I really need to get my hands on! I've met this author and he was sweet as pie!

Any interest you?

10 comments:

Natalie Aguirre said...

Honestly only #3 is at all intriguing. I think it's better to weave in the main character's age rather than tell it. Weird that editors or agents didn't edit these.

Liesel K. Hill said...

I also like #2. It occurred to me that it may even be a little cliche, but I don't care! It's still the one I want to read! Sometimes things are cliche for a reason! :D Also, can I just say this is a great way to come up with a post. I'm always looking for new, interesting things to write about, and this is a great idea. Thanks for sharing it!

lkhill.blogspot.com AND
musingsonfantasia.blogspot.com

S.A. Larsenッ said...

Wow. This is kind of weird. #2, that first line is very similiar to my first line of the new YA I'm working on. I changed it, though. Phew.... lol

Amy Saia said...

Huh, that's weird. I guess it must be a way to instantly connect the reader, like saying. "It's okay, i"m not an adult, and we can say what we want here." Or something like that. I'm trying to remember where I state my MC's age for the first time.

Nicole Zoltack said...

I liked #2 best.

Laura S. said...

#3! How funny that all the ones your selected had to do with ages.

Carolyn V said...

Totally #2. Love that sentence! ;)

Meredith said...

Definitely need to read #2! Awesome opening sentence. :)

Patti said...

I agree with most everyone else. #2

Vikki said...

I like #1. It's kind of an awkward sentence, which I like. Tells me the voice might be really strong. Or...the book is just full of awkward sentences and it would give me a headache. Ya know, one of the two! :)