Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Tuesday Twist

Happy Tuesday!!!! Another addition of some books that I would love to read!!!


FIRST SYNOPSIS - Adult
By the time she turned thirty, Elizabeth Gilbert had everything a modern, educated, ambitious American woman was supposed to want—a husband, a house in the country, a successful career. But instead of feeling happy and fulfilled, she was consumed with panic, grief and confusion. She went through a divorce, a crushing depression, another failed love and the complete eradication of everything she ever thought she was supposed to be.

To recover from all of this, Gilbert took a radical step. In order to give herself the time and space to find out who she really was and what she really wanted, she got rid of her belongings, quit her job, left her loved ones behind and undertook a year-long journey around the world, all alone.

SECOND SYNOPSIS - Young Adult, fantasy
Nya is an orphan struggling for survival in a city crippled by war. She is also a Taker—with her touch, she can heal injuries, pulling pain from another person into her own body. But unlike her sister, Tali, and the other Takers who become Healers' League apprentices, Nya's skill is flawed: She can't push that pain into pynvium, the enchanted metal used to store it. All she can do is shift it into another person, a dangerous skill that she must keep hidden from forces occupying her city. If discovered, she'd be used as a human weapon against her own people.

Rumors of another war make Nya's life harder, forcing her to take desperate risks just to find work and food. She pushes her luck too far and exposes her secret to a pain merchant eager to use her shifting ability for his own sinister purposes. At first Nya refuses, but when Tali and other League Healers mysteriously disappear, she's faced with some difficult choices. As her father used to say, principles are a bargain at any price; but how many will Nya have to sell to get Tali back alive?

THIRD SYNOPSIS - Young Adult
In a single moment, everything changes. Seventeenyear- old Mia has no memory of the accident; she can only recall riding along the snow-wet Oregon road with her family. Then, in a blink, she fi nds herself watching as her own damaged body is taken from the wreck... A sophisticated, layered, and heartachingly beautiful story about the power of family and friends, the choices we all make—and the ultimate choice Mia commands.

The Fabulous Titles:
Eat, Pray, Love by Elizabeth Gilbert (Just ordered my copy!!)
The Shifter by Janice Hardy
If I Stay by Gayle Forman

Which one of you read? What are you reading right now?

29 comments:

Stina said...

LOL. I just finished reading IF I STAY five minutes ago. It was a great story, though I had no idea which way Mia would choose: live or die. I'm happy with the ending, but I would have been with either choice.

I really do have to read THE SHIFTER one day. It sounds like a great book.

Hope you had a great long weekend, Jen!

Christine Danek said...

I want to read them all. They all sound great!
Thanks!

Vicki Rocho said...

I like #1, but am avoiding it because *everyone* is reading it these days. Argh.

#2 I was with you through the first paragraph, but the second paragraph pushed me away. Sometimes blurbs do this. I was hooked, but then it got more serious, more cluttered, etc.

#3 Just doesn't grip me. Might love the book, but the blurb won't get me to take it home. I would need some haunting cover art or reviews from friends.

Candyland said...

Had I read the blurb of If I Stay before I read it, I wouldn't have read it. It didn't compel me.

Not sure about the other 2 either:/

Matthew MacNish said...

Interesting. Thanks for doing our research for us Jen!

Clara said...

I´d sooo read number one and 2!
Thanks for this Jen!

Jaydee Morgan said...

I'd read If I Stay - and I'm planning on it. Now, to find some reading time :)

Karen Roderick said...

If I Stay - even if it is Young Adult lol! x

Joanne said...

I haven't read any of these, but still hear so much about Eat, Pray, Love that I definitely have to put it on my list!

j.leigh.bailey said...

Oooh, Shifter sounds great. I may have to pick it up. I had a friend who read Eat, Pray, Love and gave me the play-by-play on it, so I probably won't read it myself. Thanks for these, Jen!

Karen Jones Gowen said...

Eat, Pray Love is one of my favorites! It's an incredible book.

Carolyn V. said...

Oh man! I haven't read any of them. I'd better get them on my TBR list! =)

PJ Hoover said...

I have yet to read any, but IF I STAY is on the list.

Christina Lee said...

woo hoo I've read two of the three (Shifter is definitely on my list). I like your bright and cheerful blog background!

Crystal Cook said...

They all sound great, but I am dying to read 'If I Stay'!

Once again, a great fun post Jen :)

Creepy Query Girl said...

Oooh. I haven't read any of these yet but I saw a great review for 'If I Stay' so now its on my to-be-ordered list. Thanks for the book summaries!

Tahereh said...

i've heard SO MUCH about IF I STAY, and i'm still hesitant to read it because i don't like depressing stories :(

is it super depressing? i'm not sure if i want to cry and eat a bucket of ice cream afterward..

Anonymous said...

I've heard some great things about IF I STAY, but, like Tahereh, sad stories depress me. And I really like Hardy's blog and have been meaning to read her novel for a while. :)

Jennie Bailey said...

I read Eat Love Pray and loved it! I'm curious to see how it transfers to screen.

I'm headed for the library today! I think I'll check out the YA section and see if they have The Shifter. That sounds like good sunny afternoon reading to me. Thanks for sharing these!

Talli Roland said...

I'm loving these Tuesday posts, Jen!

I'm going to go with number 3. Sounds amazing!

Anonymous said...

Oh, thank you for the link to PJ Hoovers' blog. I'm definitely entering!

And thank you so so much for getting in touch with your local bookstore. <3

Also, I'd be more than happy to do a sketch for you as well! Just send me description of a character you'd like to see drawn. :)

Again, thank you! You're so generous and awesome. <3

Laura S. said...

I want to read them all! Great choices!

Lindsay said...

I've got If I stay. So I'll choose that one. Although number two sounds good too. :)

Anonymous said...

All of them sound great!!!
I'm heading to Barnes and Noble next week!


LOVE!

Kimberly Franklin said...

I love the sound of all of those. Books... my weakness. I just finished reading The Mockingbirds and it was FABULOUS!! Of course, I never expected anything different though. And now I'm on to The Forrest of Hands and Teeth and then The Short Second Life of Bree Tanner (on saturday! YAY!!) :)

Leigh Hutchens Burch said...

I read (and adored!) IF I STAY a couplde of months ago. I haven't read the other two, but it seems like a ton of people are reading EAT, PRAY, LOVE right now. I might have to jump on that train, but I've heard mixed reviews about it.

Eva said...

The Shifter sounds great! I think I may have to actually find this book :)

Mary E Campbell said...

They all sound like great books - the Shifter especially.

Amy Saia said...

I'd heard of the first two, but after reading your synopses, I'd go for The Shifter. It sounds really interesting!