Tuesday, August 17, 2010

In Their Own Words - Tully



There are two sides to me. I'm a Traveler and a Head of House. Both of these roles are stressful but save lives. Watching lost souls, those in the in-between arriving at my house break my heart. It's all the same situation.

One bad thing happened for them to end up on my front porch. There is one reason they come to me, they have an opportunity, to catch the killer and prevent them from hurting anyone else. Some survive and are able to go back to the real world, but most stay in the Traveling world. Once their tasks are complete they are asked to say as a Traveler.

Some don't stay. Some decided to become roamers. That breaks my heart even more, roamers leave my house and are left to a life of loneliness, they are wiped clean of all their thoughts and that is the end of them.

My role as Head of House is to give each recruit or traveler tasks to help them catch their killer. My latest recruit, Lauren, is like nothing I've ever dealt with. Her story is heartbreaking and her courage reminds me a lot of myself. My second role is what I started out as, a Traveler, you could say I have two personalities.

Being a traveler is hard, catching a killer is even harder, but it's what I do, and I'm the best at it.

24 comments:

Jessica Bell said...

Nice. Which project is this character from?

Are you a writer? Then you MUST enter this CONTEST!

Diana Mieczan said...

She is fantastic:) Really love that character:)

Kisses, my dear

Candyland said...

Love characters with more than one straight and narrow side to them.

Anne Gallagher said...

Nice job, sounds like she has an interesting life.

What happens to the roamers after they're erased? They just wander
throughout time, that's sad.

Summer Frey said...

Hmm. I imagined her a lot older than this, but I guess this is from your re-imagining.

Vicki Rocho said...

At first I was thinking being a roamer would be sad, but then I think the appeal of having your memory wiped clean might be the appeal. If you were haunted by something painful, wouldn't there be joy in having that removed?

Jaydee Morgan said...

Learning about each of these characters definitely interests me more and more in your story!

Jillian said...

oooh enticing!!

I got your letter in the mail by the way about the book club! So excited!!!

Amy Saia said...

Ooh, I like the style here. Another intriguing description of one of your books. Great stuff!

Theresa Milstein said...

I've been enjoying these character sketches. I wonder if doing one would make my query stronger. Help me capture the voice or be more concise or something.

Lenny Lee said...

hi miss jen! wow this sounds pretty exciting and pretty scary. that in between world sounds cool but i dont think i could want to get there and then be a roamer and be all lonesome and gone. im glad tully is the best cause for sure she gonna get laurens killer.
...hugs from lenny

poorni said...

Nice nice :)

Sitting Behind Homeplate said...

I really like this! A lot!

Connie

Bish Denham said...

Yes...I see her a older too. Very nice.

Summer Ross said...

oooo, this really gets to my curiosity, well done.

Matthew MacNish said...

Nicely done Jen!

Christina Lee said...

Very interesting premise my dear!

LTM said...

supercool! love her.
And got the letter today! yay~

Anonymous said...

Love it, love it, love it! Just what she shares about her life makes me want to drive to Texas, grab your story, and read it to my heart's content.

You're doing a great job, Jen! Keep up the great work.

Angie said...

Nicely done! She sounds real tough, but sweet too. Is this from the same story as the last one?

The Words Crafter said...

Sounds very interesting!

Susan Fields said...

Very intriguing! And I like your choice of Drew Barrymore, she's fun to watch in movies.

Eva said...

That sounds so interesting. What a great concept for a story!

vic caswell said...

wowza! what a premise! i would TOTALLY buy this story! :)